Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats your thoughts on alloy wheel nuts?
blakep82

posted on 11/2/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
whats your thoughts on alloy wheel nuts?

bearing in mind alloy hubs are quite acceptable, i quite fancy blue anodised wheel nuts, but i'm not really sure if they're right or not

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 11/2/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve got a set, they are fine.

I had a 928 porche, the cup alloy wheels weighed next to nothing, the nuts could have floated ! Factory standard so no concerns here.

blakep82

posted on 11/2/09 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
excellent if its good enough for porsche, its good enough for me

only worry now then, is i need 24 of them

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/09 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
well call me old fashioned...but I don't like the sound of them tbh and what's the weight saving really compaired to the rest of the car? Personally I'd still use steel ones

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Didnt know you could get alloy ones

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I had a full set given to me by a customer who makes them, watching thread with interest as I never gave it a thought.

Pete

DRC INDY 7

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
porche 968 had them as standard what's the big problem with them none most of the new cars today have alluminium up rights and suspension parts gets some put on and reduce that rotating mass

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

bimbleuk

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Correctly engineered shouldn't be an issue you usually just use more material to compensate with alluminium.
procomp

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The Porche ones where not alloy they where magnesium.

Alloy wheel nuts are all well and good but like everything in life it depend on the quality. I have seen some really good ones used and i have seen some that may as well have been made from chocolate. Depending on how often you are taking them on and off. On a road car not very often but on the race cars where twice a meeting is more than likely the alloy nuts get thrown and replaced quite regularly.

cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
porche 968 had them as standard what's the big problem with them none most of the new cars today have alluminium up rights and suspension parts gets some put on and reduce that rotating mass

Yeah but four wheel nuts...! Honestly I bet the wheels being wet in the rain has more effect on the rotating mass and like anyone could even tell the difference.

Unnecessary bling that I'd rather have replaced with normal ones for the safety aspect if a nut comes loose, which has happened to me on more than one occasion. I have no problems with alloy uprights on a very light car but if the stud a wheel nuts going on is made of steel then I'd much prefer the nut to be made of steel too, especially on a safety critical item.

[Edited on 12/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

mark chandler

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Bling, well maybe. Do they make any discernable difference I could not tell you but my donor had 5 spoke sierra wheels with washer type nuts that did not fit my minilights.

The ali wheel nuts cost the same as a visit to the breakers, the only bad thing so far is the anodising gets bruised when you take them off and put on as far as I can see at the moment.

As long as your threads are clean and lightly oiled they should last a while.

r1_pete

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Aluminium nut on a steel stud, out in all weathers, think of the corrosion.

Phil.J

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Not MSA approved for motorsport either!
02GF74

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
there will be some efect on rotating mass but since they are quite close to the centre, it is not that great - I'd be surprised if you would notice an effect.

no idea from the safety aspect though.

I guess if you really really must have them, then fit one or two to teh rear and see how that goes. If all is well then replace all on the rear and fit 1/2 to front and repeat until you have all alloy nuts.

[Edited on 12/2/09 by 02GF74]

iank

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I certainly wouldn't try to have them for SVA/IVA as I suspect they'd fail you on them unless you could provide them with manufacturer documentation suggesting they are fit for purpose and/or e-marked.

I don't think they'd do anything for performance as 02GF74 says they're too close to the center of rotation to do much and the weight saving is negligible compared to, for instance a brake disk - there would be more and better savings from having those skimmed to minimum thickness to save weight (!) [not to mention fitting discs appropriate for a 500kg car rather than ones designed for a 1.5 tonne sports saloon.]

[Edited on 12/2/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, i forgot i made this thread
nothing to do with weight saving lol, if i trying save me weight i'd take more trips to the toilet

er, nah i just like blue anodised stuff, but may be thats for later, after its on the road like...

wax-it

posted on 18/2/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
compomotive do them for various cars, cant see them selling cheap nasty ones.

no idea of the cost.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.