Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T - PS3 (maybe)
DarrenW

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
O/T - PS3 (maybe)

Anyone got one for sale? Thinking of getting one for kids. Prefer wireless controllers. Ive also heard 60GB is best one to get as you can play cheaper PS2 games.

Obviously looking for a bargain.

I think kids would rather have wii, but i want the bluray player.

adam1985

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
i got mine free with a fone upgrade not for sale though sorry i think mine is a 60gb one and have tried ps2 games in it but they didnt work
serieslandy

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Anyone got one for sale? Thinking of getting one for kids. Prefer wireless controllers. Ive also heard 60GB is best one to get as you can play cheaper PS2 games.
You may find it difficult to find a 60gb as they have been discontinued. My mate at work went into game and got told £550 for one. but you may find one cheap.

handyandy

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
we bought our son a ps3 80gb with 3 games & 2 wireless controllers for christmas, think final price was £399.

he,s never off it

andy

sorry, not for sale tho.

[Edited on 12/2/09 by handyandy]

DarrenW

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt have to be a 60.

Why do they have such bib memories anyway?

Can you access internet with them?

macspeedy

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
There are supposed to be a run of reduced price ones in March in think, current climate, The 60gb have the backwards compatibilty although i havent tried it, they also have the sd card reading slots (and others). I never understood this, I am looking at upgrading the hardrive as its as easy as pie, takes laptop hard drives. Might be worth holding on till the March sale !! They can access internet i have a usb keyboard although a wireless one would be easier! to be honest there isnt much they cant do as far as computers go! Recently one of the many updates stopped the music sharing capability through the intranet, bit annoying maybe they will fix it one day!

[Edited on 12/2/09 by macspeedy]

blueskate

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
60GB was the only one that played ps2 games but they weren't 100% compatible. Sony don't sell this model anymore and they are like gold dust o the second hand market. Better to keep the ps2 for the old games.TBH since i bought my ps3 my ps2 and games have been sitting in the corner collecting dust!

They have large hard drives as the games install data on to the ps3 itself (helps load the games quicker). Also the PS3 should be thought of as more of a media station than a games console. You can play bluray dvd's, surf the net. Play music on it. Stream downloaded content to it...

Before you buy one make sure you have an HD TV, as playing the ps3 on an old CRT TV will make the graphics look poo

Semper Paratus!

Steve Hignett

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I am thinking of selling mine Darren, because I have only used it about 5 times since xmas and have watched just 2 bluray dvd's on it (that's all I've got!).

I have no idea what I will sell it for - I sold a load of stuff on ebay recently as I am totally skint nowadays, so was just going to put it on there, but am willing to sell to a LCBer at a slightly lesser price than ebay to avoid their charges and for a definite sale!

I have about 6 games for it and two controllers. Can't remember all the games off the top of my head, cos they're in a drawer upstairs (shows how much I use it!) I did go for extras when I bought it, extra games and a second controller so you don't have to wait for it to recharge etc.

You can go on the internet with it (earlier Q of yours)

Oh, I've also got two dvd's (I am Legend and Shoot 'em Up) Not really kids films TBH!

Let me know if you are interested mate and I will write down all the games for you!

ATB
Steve

Keith Weiland

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Do yourself a favour and by a Wii and a stand alone blue ray player unless there are games you know you want on the PS3. You can Softmod the Wii and get loads of free games then. I have a PS3 which is great but unless you want to play the few PS3 exclusives it doesn't make as much sense as a Wii and a Stand alone Blue ray.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
They are getting pretty cheap on ebay.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

DarrenW

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Im not really a gamer but have it in my head that the PS3 is a better all round machine. Graphics seem to be better too from what ive seen in stores. My only real concern is that there doesnt seem to be that many games available that young daughters (4 and 7) would enjoy. Also when in stores they seem to be drawn to the Wii.

Does the wii have internet facility and hard drive etc? Ive asked people in stores before but im always shocked at how little advice they can give - it as if the games consoles were selling themselves over Christmas.

I dont have funds for games machine and seperate blu ray etc. Our best TV isnt quite good enough to take advantage of bluray either (its a good spec 720p Panasonic 32" lcd).

tendoshingan

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
With you daughters at that age I'd go for the Wii hands down. It is much more interactive than the PS3 and your daughters will be much more interested in the gameplay than the graphics.
Also if you do get the Wii, get a Wii fit too. So funny, the best laugh I've had for ages. Even my misses plays it and she has never played our PS2.

orbital

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Xbox 360 Our family has three! Plus a wii for wii fit, sorted

Cheers

Dave

SixedUp

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of the early PS3's with backward compatibility (ie can play PS2 games on it) and it is a wonderful bit of kit. I digitised all my CD's and DVD's and stream them to the PS3, as well as playing games on it, and accessing the internet. I even use it to access the BBC iPlayer. A marvellous system.

But, its the WRONG system for your kids - there are no games that they will really enjoy. Get them a Wii, its definitely the better option for what you describe.

stevebubs

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
For kids of that age, it's Wii everytime.

Standalone blu-ray is <£150...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.