Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NOS and Megasquirt
speedyxjs

posted on 14/2/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
NOS and Megasquirt

Iv been looking at locost(ish) ways of getting a bit more power out of my tintop.
The two that have been suggested are Megasquirt and NOS.
Can anyone give me a bit more info about these two. I know what NOS is but dont know where to get it or how hard/easy it is to fit and all i have found out about megasquirt is that is is aftermarket fuel injection so i dont imagine fitting this to an already fuel injected car would make much of a difference.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

nitram38

posted on 14/2/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Before you go to NOS, check your insurance premium!
Besides that, it is a great for detonating an old or worn engine.

martyn_16v

posted on 14/2/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
all i have found out about megasquirt is that is is aftermarket fuel injection so i dont imagine fitting this to an already fuel injected car would make much of a difference.

You'd be suprised. When they're initially mapping their ECU's an OEM will often be focused more on economy, driveability and NVH than outright performance, You can get some gain on the majority of engines by adjusting the fuelling and ignition to a more performance oriented setup. If your engine has a turbo it makes it even easier, just look at the gains a 'rechip' gives for VAG 1.8T's/most TDI engines.

However the bigger gain is usually in the flexibility it allows to change the engine and it's breathing, dumping restrictive MAF/AFM sensors and their piping.

Please god don't view it as an easy 'bolt on' mod. There's a lot of learning you need to do to get it running, and even more to make it effective. It is worth it though

speedyxjs

posted on 14/2/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
Please god don't view it as an easy 'bolt on' mod. There's a lot of learning you need to do to get it running, and even more to make it effective. It is worth it though

The learning is the main reason i want to do it.

vinny1275

posted on 14/2/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
NO isn't really a massive everyday mod either. The installs I've seen have a button to squirt it in, and it runs for 10 - 20 seconds. Like Nitram said, over-using it can kill an older engine...

Whats the car, there are generally good gains to be made with less restrictive inlet / exhaust systems, esp. if you combined them with MS to get the best out of them.....

phoenix70

posted on 14/2/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just modding my Pinto to have megasquirt and NOS. I've added the control circuit to the megasquirt, so I can control the mapping and ignition when the NOS is activated. I'm also fitting throttle bodies, so hopefully it will breath better as well. I built the MS myself, that was pretty straight forward, just moving into the difficult part. mapping the engine.

I'm putting a mild 50bhp shot of NOS into my engine, and if it breaks, well it gives me a good reason to fit a more modern engine.

Cheers

Scott

mark chandler

posted on 14/2/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
If its for your Jag then try here

So thats boring out the MAF and opening the throttle body for 20bhp, no external changes to be seen.

Cutting the manifold open and adding some trumpets looks pretty easy as well.

Regards Mark

tomprescott

posted on 14/2/09 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen of NOS its generally primed by a switch but then activated by a controller that only operates when you're at full throttle. I also know its legal to have on your car but illegal for road use. Also with NOS there are wet and dry kits, as far as I can tell the only difference is where its injected, I think its injected directly into the manifold for the majority of kits, brand new kits cost in the region of £300-500 but you'll have to keep getting your bottle refilled.
UncleFista

posted on 15/2/09 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
For "Locost"-style nitrous oxide injection info, try Burgerman's site

[Edited on 15/2/09 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

foes

posted on 15/2/09 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
From what I've seen of NOS its generally primed by a switch but then activated by a controller that only operates when you're at full throttle. I also know its legal to have on your car but illegal for road use. Also with NOS there are wet and dry kits, as far as I can tell the only difference is where its injected, I think its injected directly into the manifold for the majority of kits, brand new kits cost in the region of £300-500 but you'll have to keep getting your bottle refilled.

Please tell me why it's illegal for road use (insurance issues aside)...?

foes

posted on 15/2/09 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott

right, wet and dry is nothing to do with how the nitrous is in injected.

a wet system is when fuel fuel is injected (via an additional solenoid) along with the nitrous into the inlet tract
a dry system is when purely nitrous is injected into the inlet tract and additional fueling is fed via the engines fuel injectors (additional software/mapped to suit)

i think you were getting confused with direct port injection systems (a nitrous/fuel injector per cylinder)

But yes they are mostly primed then operate at wot only, its also a good idea to get a controller/progressive kit, full power in first gear /from standstill is a good way to wreck gearboxes/drive shafts, if you can get any grip to start with that is....

foes

posted on 15/2/09 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Before you go to NOS, check your insurance premium!
Besides that, it is a great for detonating an old or worn engine.

If setup and mapped correctly nitrous is very safe.
Ok yes if an engine is very worn (to the point where it needs a rebuild) then yes it may fail or the nitrous may not have the desired affect, either way the engine hasn't failed because of nitrous but because it was worn! that goes for any engine tuning/upgrades.

I think N0S has got this sort of reputation because its (relatively) cheap and easy to do and that means more people get it wrong!

Also its not just for drag racing, a bottle on a track day (used in bursts on straights) can make a big difference.

speedyxjs

posted on 15/2/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ok. So it looks like Megasquirt it a safer bet. What type of power increase can one expect and where do i get it from?
The car is my 3.2 xj6.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.