Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rust prevention
Simon

posted on 25/7/02 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Rust prevention

Hi Guys,

What are people doing to the insides of their chassis tubes etc - Waxoyl?

Appreciate that they are sealed from the elements.

Thanks and ATB

Simon

Jasper

posted on 25/7/02 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing, just making sure it's sealed from the outside and well painted. Surely filling it with waxoyl will add loads of weight???
Jon Ison

posted on 25/7/02 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
don't go out in the rain....... ?
Jaspers rite, the heat from welding will dry it out, good painting will seal it, the chassis will outlive you.....

Simon

posted on 25/7/02 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper / John,

Thanks for comments.

John - that was exactly what I had thought , but my father brought up the subject, then went on about it. Puts doubts in your mind:-)

Jasper - I could be wrong but I thought Waxoyl was sprayed in and emptied out.

Quite likely I'm wrong. Won't be using it anyway.

Thanks again

Simon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/7/02 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
seems to me that people are obsessed with rust on these cars, and bang on about exotic stuff like por15.

my theory is :

1. how often you gonna drive an open top car in the wet or when the snow and salt is down.

2. The tube and floor are usually 1.6mm steel - most cars are not more than 1mm steel, and they seem to last 15 years ok.

3. You gonna keep it 15+ years then?

atb

steve

johnston

posted on 27/7/02 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
at the end of the day by the time it rusts from the inside out u'll either b bored of the car or it will give you an excuse to get into the garage away from the wife and change all the wee things you wanted to do over the years of driving. i.e take out that pinto and beam axle which'll prob b 30 years old by then and stick in the latest in enviromentally friendly water burnig engines and anti-gravity suspension

and i almost forgot you'll probaly need to modify the boot for your zimmer frame

Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 26/8/02 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mine 2.8 v6 will be finished when I'm about 17 and then I will have to wait till I'am ancient to insure it so it might have rusted away by then!!!!!! I still recon however that a good seal by wealding and a couple of layers of paint should stop rust.
theconrodkid

posted on 26/8/02 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Waxoyl comes with a lance so why not drill holes in each tube and spray the stuf inside,then plug the hole
bran

posted on 8/9/02 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote

Robin Hood

posted on 9/9/02 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Is galvanising an option?

Costly if done by a plater but you can a paint called Galvafroid that surface galvanises and can be sprayed into the chassis sections.

Just a thought.

I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

flyingsopwithcamels

posted on 14/9/02 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Linseed oil was used ans is still used on the inside aircraft frames. A small hole was drilled in to the frame to pour in the oil, the frame was rotated a few times to allow the oil to make contact with the sides of the frame. The remaining oil was allowed to drain from the tube.
Lasted for years

Rick Iram

posted on 25/10/02 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Rust Prevention

Older tube and fabric aircraft used linseed oil. Current airplane builders inject "Tubeseal" into small holes drilled in the frame. I have no experience with the product, but apparently it finds its way into every crack and crevice, even sealing voids in welds. Only a small amount is injected. It's relatively cheap about $15 USD from Aircraft Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/tubeseal.php) in USA. I plan to use it. It will make me feel better. I hate rust!

Rick

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.