Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Past MOT certificates
MikeLR

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Past MOT certificates

Went with son to view a car at a garage this weekend.
It has no service records because they were "lost" ! but it has the current MOT and the last two as the salesman said " to verify the milage"
What seems strange to me was it looked as all three had just been printed , pristine with "wet ink" !! Is it possible to get official copies of old MOT,s or can blanks be purchased from "flebay"?
Mike
ps "not being purchased "

Steve P

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
What type? all the new style? Guess with a printer/scanner anything is possible either way.
Steve P

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
What type? all the new style? Guess with a printer/scanner anything is possible either way.
02GF74

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
dunno, proper MOT will have testing station stamp embossed on them.

if you suspect fraud, phone the police.

matt_claydon

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you have any doubt about authenticity, you can query the national MOT computer to view the MOT history of any vehicle if you have the V5 document or an MOT certificate here:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/

To answer your question, any MOT station can print off duplicate certificates.

[Edited on 23/2/09 by matt_claydon]

r1_pete

posted on 23/2/09 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you're suspicious leave it, there are plenty of cars on the market, unless is something special.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/2/09 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
As Pete says, if you have any sort of suspicions then simply walk away. There are tons of cars out there that simply arent selling so its a buyer's market. Sounds extremely dodgy to me and a couple of years MOT certificates doesnt verify mileage anyway. 'm sure if you keep looking you will find one with a proper service history anyway - worth a few extra quid and time looking surely??
David Jenkins

posted on 23/2/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
The "can't find the service history documents" is a give-away. Any car dealer with good service history papers for a car will guard them with their life as it adds a lot of value to a car (or makes it easier to sell, which is almost the same thing to a dealer).

Walk away...

(oops - just noticed - you said "not purchasing" - you have walked away!)

[Edited on 23/2/09 by David Jenkins]

MikeLR

posted on 23/2/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes we did walk away. I dont know if its just me but I took an instant dislike to the salesman. Does anyone else get that feeling sometimes ? Son says I,m getting grumpier as I get older, I say its down to experience !
Regards
Mike

Mark G

posted on 23/2/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
MOT stations can print duplicates but it will say on the certificate that it is a duplicate and will also say who printed it and when.

Mot certificates no longer get embossed and most testing stations no longer have their stamps anyway.

rusty nuts

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
MOT stations can print duplicates but it will say on the certificate that it is a duplicate and will also say who printed it and when.

Mot certificates no longer get embossed and most testing stations no longer have their stamps anyway.

MOT stations can only print certificates for tests carried out at that station. It was the case at the early days of computerisation that any test station could print any certificate but no longer the case.

owelly

posted on 24/2/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's true that you can get a 'gut feeling' about cars/salesmen and if that's the case, walk away. Otherwise, if you get the car, you'll always have that niggling doubt in your head......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.