Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gutted - VOSA fun 'n' games
twybrow

posted on 24/2/09 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted - VOSA fun 'n' games

After a two week wait, I recieved my letter from VOSA today. All excited I opened it expecting a date for my test. Unfortunately, they have rejected my application as an amateur build. Despite sending a wodge of reciepts (it was a part built project as indicated on the amateur build declaration), bought from a very helpful member of LCB. The receipts covered the parts purchased by the previous owner, and the reciept for sale of the part build rolling chassis + parts, as well as reciepts for parts I have purchased. Add to that, more than 20 photographs, of the build starting at rolling chassis and finishing with what looks like a car!

VOSA have asked me to contact the previous owner and ask them to send a statement letter as to how much work he completed as well as photographic evidence proving he was also an amateur builder. On top of that, I have to resubmit all my photos/receipts, along with a letter from me stating what I have done to the car....

Oh my god. I have wasted an entire evening on this! This is time I need to be in the garage getting it ready...! They sent me a VOSA newsletter re the IVA test. I have until Friday to get them everything they demand. If they are still not happy after the 28th, then IVA for me (this is in writing from VOSA - so not sure where this extension to application date came from on here the other day!?).

Just thought I would share my woe with you lot, as right now, I am feeling thoroughly miffed.

[Edited on 24/2/09 by twybrow]

Jason Fletcher

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
VOSA can be a nightmare sometimes. If it were me I'd phone Mark Vickers up and tell him although you bought the car as a rolling chassis, it has been compleatly disassembled by yourself and put back togeather. In my experiance phone calls and emails work well with VOSA. if you need a email address for Mark PM me.

jason

Taylor R1

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Vosa

U2U
twybrow

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps. I'm ringing them first thing, so I'll let you know how I get on.
Humbug

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I feel for you, mate. I was a bit worried when I sent off my forms, also having bought a rolling chassis. Luckily in those days (2005) they didn't want photos and accepted my Amateur Build declaration with no fuss.

Hope you get it sorted soon

YQUSTA

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
gutted mate that really sucks.

Hope you can get it all sorted out before they make you IVA the car.

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
maybe the leason here is to tell them nothing about it ever being bought as a rolling chassis. It was simply just a kit of parts.

[Edited on 25/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Lesson learned the hard way...! It is true - honesty doesn't work!
cjtheman

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
hi mate
did you get it sorted??
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

kevmcdo

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Did the exact same thing to me, I had to get a letter of declaration from the previous owner stating what work had been done prior to selling the project to myself.

The guy from vosa came over very arrogant at first but as the conversations went on over the course of a week he became very helpfull.

Stick in

Kev

kendo

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Worried

I have just sent my application in and I have also stated that it was part built. I bought mine the backend of 2000 so I haven't got a hope of tracing the first owner / builder.

It was literally only a chassis and donor bits when I got it. But my photos show me working on the chassis as that wasn't entirely complete. So, fingers crossed that will cover it.

bbwales

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I had exactly the same problem but couldnt contact the previous builder as there was no contact details, I bought the chassis from a 3rd person who had stored the car for 10 years. I phoned VOSA and explained that whislt it was a rolling chassis when I bought it I infact stripped it down and converted it from live axle to IRS, the guy there was very helpful and he then ticked the box saying it was my build. Well worth phoning them.

Regards

Bob

pewe

posted on 25/2/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
That's a real bummer. Deffo reckon you should make telephone contact and the higher up the better. I would take the "I've been open, honest and not tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes" tack plus a statement from the guy you bought it from saying that it was only part-built. You can then say you had to dismantle it and re-build.
Presumably the prev. owner wasn't trade in which case he should state that he has no connections with the motor-trade.
Sounds as if it landed on the wrong pen-pusher's desk.
Keep at them.
BOL, Pewe

twybrow

posted on 25/2/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Update - I have spoken to the chap that sent me the letter. I have emailed him with a letter written by the previous owner (thanks Ray) as well as all o fht ephotographs from the previous owner. He said that would be sufficient. After a bit of conversation, he said he should be able to process it this afternoon. I said i would ring back just to double check everything was in hand...! So fingers crossed, it sounds promising.

Anyone else in the same boat, I would make sure you have this covered today. If your application is not complete by Friday (not just recieved), then it will be IVA for you (straight from VOSA themselves).

chris_harris_

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you got it sorted mate, I had a conversation with VOSA the othe day, as intend to complete and submit my forms this week, the dat they give is 28th Sat. But i am away this week and the earliest i can send it is fri, recorded delivery to arrive saturday. Vosa don't open on saturdays!
The lady on the phone said it shoud be okay. But what do we thik about this?

Regards Chris

twybrow

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - From the paperwork VOSA sent me, this will not be ok. It says they have to be proccesed and accepted by the 28th, not just recieved. Any queries that run over this date will have the fee refunded, and an IVA application letter sent to them! good luck with the process Chris - I for one wish I sent mine weeks ago!

I spoke to VOSA in the last few minutes - they are now processing my application, and the chap assured me there is nothing else that I need to send them. I just hope this isn't a stalling tactic!

adithorp

posted on 25/2/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think that what you sent initially is exactly what they often recieve form commercial builders and that sets thier alarm bells off. Once they speak to you then they figure it out.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

YQUSTA

posted on 25/2/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Glad that it seams to be all sorted now lets just hope they dont try to screw you on some thing else.
MikeLR

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
What difference does it make if its a pro or amature build to VOSA, isnt there is only one type of test ? They are all tested to the same standards arnt they.
Mike

flak monkey

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Matt had very similar problems, a few phone calls sorted it in the end if I remember correctly! He also had something about reciepts, complete nightmare. Glad I got mine done when I did!

Best to just say you built it yourself, less hassle! And its true anyway because you will have stripped it when you bought it wouldnt you?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

twybrow

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes flak, I have stripped just about every part. The only part I have not touched is the steering rack. Everthing else about the car has been stripped off at some point.

I am still nervous at to what else is coming at me - i swear the world is against me when doing this car! I thought the SVA test would be the stressful time....!

Thanks for all the support guys. I appreciate it.

flak monkey

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
You'll get there eventually. Keep on at them until they give in. If the desk monkey wont give you any joy, speak to his manager....

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

chris_harris_

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to someone in the VOSA office this afternoon, who said i should be okay with sending it fri. Couldn'y guarantee it but he seemed fairly confident.
He also said that the IVA has a ong way to go before its even ready to implement. They themselves haven't a clue on cost and paperwork process. He seems to thik they might continue doing SVA paperwork.
Lon and short of it, i@m sending it all anyway, got to be worth a go, worst case is they send it back and i have to go IVA, best case, they accept it and i go through SVA.
Fingers Crossed

Regards Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.