Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall FWD problems
AndyGT

posted on 26/2/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall FWD problems

Needing to buy a small slide hammer and clutch replacement tool for an Opel Corsa A (aka Nova Mk1) 1.0 S which allows you to change the clutch without taking engine or gearbox out.

Been searching around with google but can't find the tools I need. Any good tool suppliers anyone can recommend that ships to France?

Thanks in advance
Andy

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Z20let Corsa

posted on 26/2/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
ive done loads of work on novas and corsas and to be honest it works out easier to just take the engine and box out together. its not worth the hassle trying to keep the engine in the car. lining everything back up is an absolute pain.
theconrodkid

posted on 26/2/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
i made a slide hammer,the bolt that screws into the 1st motion shaft is an odd thread,7mm maybe,you need good circlip pliers to get the circlip out and a new one to replace it,the clamps for pressure plate are a pain to use.
end of the day its easier to drop the box out

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

alistairolsen

posted on 26/2/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
agreed, you can have the engine and box out in 2 hours at most, remove the tie bars and pull it out the bottom. The thread is M7 and some do and some dont have the removeable input shaft.
NigeEss

posted on 26/2/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Erm... two hours to remove box or 30mins to drop clutch out the slot..
I know which option I use.

Unless of course (as mentioned) it doesn't have the removable shaft but it appears Andy knows
what he's on about.

Yes it's an M7 and hard to find, never had to use a slide hammer myself as most
come with a good pull. Occasionally had to use a lever to get the initial release.
Pressure plate clamps can be made from three short lengths of 3mm wall 25mm box section.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

alistairolsen

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
half an hour to jack up, remove a wheel, take the endplate off the box (which i when you find out the input shaft isnt drilled and tapped) and then having to seal it al up again?

And then at best half an hour or more of jamming your fingers in the slot trying to get the clips and bolts etc sorted?

Ill pass thanks

rj

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Nova rally car for 12 years, would leave the box in place when replacing clutches every time . With slide hammer with M7 end, and clutch clips , a clutch change could be done in minutes !
Also could change the gear cluster by pulling it out of the box in situ.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
The first Vauxhall clutch I did took me 40minutes without a slide hammer or the clamps to hold the clutch in the compressed state. This was done with my right leg in plaster which is why it took so long. Have only once had to take the gearbox off due to the shaft not coming out of the box .
MikeRJ

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I guess this is a similar system to that used on the Astra GTE16v? I can remember thinking what a thoroughly brilliant idea it was when I did the clutch on mine, saved loads of hassle. I don't recall having to use a slide hammer either, I think I just screwed a bolt into the end and used a pair of mole grips to yank it out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.