Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: towing to SVA questions.....
FASTdan

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
towing to SVA questions.....

We need to get our mk from bradford to chadderton for its SVA at the end of march.

So far we've been quoted £150 to have it transported - with the guy waiting and bringing it back....not cheap. It maybe a bit cheaper (but i suspect not a lot) to have him drop it off and we drive it back. this is of course made worse in that it may fail, meaning another trip back, and finally it'll need taking to leeds DVLA for their inspection too. So transport could end up costing a few hundred.

Now im wondering if I can get access to a trailer and a car to tow it. However then im wondering maybe fit a tow bar to my 206 - whats a ball park figure for having one fitted?

And then im wondering if it'd do the job anyway. 2.0HDI 206? the kit car will weigh 600kg + whatever the trailer would be. And then is it legal - I dont know what the regs are for towing, but im guessing there's a weight ratio (guessing the 206 will be 1100kg or so).

Can anyone shed any light on the above?

[Edited on 26/2/09 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
just drive it to SVA

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hire a big van. Job done.
A towbar can cost anything from £100 up to £800 depending on who's fitting it and what bar you want. The Pug will be up to towing no problems.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think there are some cheaper ones around but I trust these...
http://www.towsure.com/product/5474-Towbar-_Peugeot_206_Hatchback_98-

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
just drive it
ReMan

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Drive it, just have a mate with a backup car
Points are deducted for trailering anyway

[Edited on 26/2/09 by ReMan]

matt_claydon

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
As said above, why don't you just drive it?
grazzledazzle

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Drive it. If you are taking it for the test you are confident it is ready. Back up car an AA card for any unforeseen circumstances.
b16mts

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
with my SVA looming, my hart says drive it, but my head says "what if i break down on the way, then i miss the test, then i cannot get a new date and have to go through IVA"

i'm probably gonna trailer mine and if it breaks down it'll do it at the test, and i'll fail, but then go for a retest under SVA regs at a later date.

Martin

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

James

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Insure it on the chassis number for 30days starting with the day of your SVA.

Drive it there. If you can arrange inspection for the same day you can drive straight from SVA (with MAC in hot, sweaty hand) to the inspection.
Head home via motor factors and get plates.

Job done.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Dangle_kt

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
fit your own towbar, I did to my 04 audi a4 company car. cost about £30 second hand and worked a treat.

Your car will easy cope with towing that weight.

Trailer hire is super cheap too, say £30ish for the day.

Stress free, and no chances of loosing your insurance premium is you fail the SVA and exceed the 30 day limit.

t16turbotone

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Paul jespon helped me with my sva/reg documents.....his advice was to trailer her there due to some of his over customers experiencing problems with police over temp. chassis number insurances
afj

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
just do what i did drive it there in heavy rain, pass SVA in under 2 hours, then drive home in lovely sunshine,ready for a spot of lunch (followed by 3 hours cleaning the salt off)

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

FASTdan

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
fit your own towbar, I did to my 04 audi a4 company car. cost about £30 second hand and worked a treat.

Your car will easy cope with towing that weight.

Trailer hire is super cheap too, say £30ish for the day.

Stress free, and no chances of loosing your insurance premium is you fail the SVA and exceed the 30 day limit.

Can you point me in the direction of trailer hire for that sort of price? I've only seen prices of near £100 on the net - but I havent searched particularly hard.

I probably would drive it there - but my dads reluctant....and I must admit I'd be gutted to miss the test if anything went wrong (20+ yr old carbs + engine??). I'd rather get there and then break down at my leisure after the event lol.

Looking on ebay there's tow bars for £80'ish brand new - might be more economical to do this and hire a trailer (if i cant rustle one up from somewhere for beer money).

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RichardK

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine from this place on the outskirts of york, was about £40 per day if I remember right the bloke to speak to was called Jim.

Plowman Bros Fabricators
Broad Oak Farm admin
Sutton on Forest
York
YO61 1ER
Tel: 44 (0) 1904 768230
Fax 44 (0) 1904 765946

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

fov

posted on 26/2/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Plowman Bros Fabricators
Broad Oak Farm admin
Sutton on Forest
York
YO61 1ER
Tel: 44 (0) 1904 768230
Fax 44 (0) 1904 765946

He was dead funny with me when I tried to hire a trailer. He didnt want it going into VOSA property so I ended up getting one from Mennel Motors in Malton (about 20 miles further up the A64) and for £35 a day.

Simon

posted on 26/2/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I hired a van and trailer which was about £100 for the day (£65 van/£35 tilting bed trailer).

Drove there for retest. Examiner said they prefer people to drive there for test anyway.

ATB

Simon

UncleFista

posted on 26/2/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
We drove ours to Chadderton from Bradford and back for our SVA (and retest), and that was with 30 year-old running gear

How about welding a towing eye on the car and taking a tow pole in the backup car for emergencies.

You'll enjoy the drive more than any other drive you've had in your life

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Taylor R1

posted on 26/2/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Try
Swillington Trailer Centre
LS26 8UU

Telephone: 0113 287 1463

Trailer hire around £45.

We had to hire one to take car for inspection after SVA. Leeds DVLA would not check it & sent us to VOSA at Rothwell. Took two weeks for appointment to come through!

That was last year so would be worth checking with Leeds DVLA again.

GH1985

posted on 26/2/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
We also didn't want to risk breaking down on the way. As we haven't got a tow bar, we hired a car transporter, £78 for 24 hours. Ours was from Portsmouth, but I assume they are available elsewhere.

See www.ssdhire.co.uk/index.php?cat=8&steps=1&mode=prod5&prodid=

speedyxjs

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GH1985
We also didn't want to risk breaking down on the way. As we haven't got a tow bar, we hired a car transporter, £78 for 24 hours. Ours was from Portsmouth, but I assume they are available elsewhere.

See www.ssdhire.co.uk/index.php?cat=8&steps=1&mode=prod5&prodid=

Thats a good idea. I was also thinking about whether to risk driving or not.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

tendoshingan

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
My mate drove to his SVA test as the transporter that he had booked would not get the car on. So he drove with trade plates and I drove with his tools in his van, no back up trailer.
At the SVA test there was a problem with a slight leak of brake fluid.

Tha tester said that had my mate not been able to fix it there and then, he would have had no option but to put a prohibiton order on it preventing him from being able to drive it back.

A prohibtion order would have sent the details of the car to the police.

To the lift prohibiton order he would have had to collect the vehicle with a trailer, had the car MOT'd then take all relevant documents to the police station for them to remove it.

If you trailer the vehicle and there is a problem the prohibtion order is not used.

I will be hiring a trailer which my mate will drive while I will drive the car to the SVA.

Meeerrrk

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
for a towbar, try towequipe, i got one for my focus for £100, and the swan neck is easily removable for when im not using it

Mark

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.