Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: felling the downturn
nick205

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
felling the downturn

Well we've officially sucumb to the "downturn".

Company announcement yesterday by a clearly emotional and strained MD advising that our paid working week is to be cut by 5hrs for at least 6 months, with redundancies likely in the coming months.

Uncomfortable times ahead

omega0684

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hear that mat e

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spdpug98

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The company I work for has too, I find out on Wednesday if I am to be made redundant or not

Good luck

[Edited on 27/2/09 by spdpug98]

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

MikeCapon

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Got my cards this am. Company has gone t*ts up following their biggest customer outsourcing to the Chinese.

Hope you guys have better luck.

Cheers,

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's as bad as it's ever been in my own memory.

I consider myself hugely fortunate in my own situation, but It could happen to anyone at any time.
I remind myself of that possibility every single day.

I feel absolutely heart sorry for anyone who finds that they are in this position.
Hope it doesn't last too long and you're all able to get something sorted out soon.

nick205

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Got my cards this am. Company has gone t*ts up following their biggest customer outsourcing to the Chinese.

Hope you guys have better luck.

Cheers,

Mike

That's a big part of our problem too!

In the last 6 months I've lost my 2 bread and butter commision accounts (30-35%) to Chinese and Russian suppliers. Not sure we'll ever see that kind of business back again either.

Hope things work out for you and for all

iain b

posted on 27/2/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
down turn

jacked my job of ten years back in august.every body telling me i was daft going back self employed(builder)...........the company i worked for went to the wall last week...i am doing OK.(maybe lost a pay out though)
Mansfield

posted on 27/2/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just around the corner for me I fear.

The worst bit is everyone is in the same boat so there are so few jobs to go for. If you are in a struggling industry, every one is struggling.

Good time to work for Deloitte & Touche and the like, or failing that a debt collector.

Hellfire

posted on 27/2/09 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Rolls Royce - Nottingham (a place were I do contract work) announced on Monday this week that they were closing one of the sites.

It's a bit sad when Aero Engines aren;t getting made...

Steve

D Beddows

posted on 28/2/09 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's all gone horribly wrong and the job market is getting to be just as bad as it was in the 80's..... aside from the instant unemployment caused by companies going under what started off as companies off loading the 'less able' members of staff has seemingly moved on to them now off loading the most expensive members of staff and leaving much cheaper but far less able people to do the same jobs. That happened to me in October (I was very lucky to get another job after a month - not incredibly keen on it tbh and it was an £8K pay cut but hey.......) and it has happened more recently to a few good friends of mine and they're stuck in the trap of no one even wanting to interview them because from their CV employers think they know what their salary expectations will be - as it happens they would actually work for monkey nuts just so they can pay the bills but.......

I genuinely hope it works out for all of you who are worried about your jobs or who have just lost them - been there very recently myself and it was a cr*p place to be

zilspeed

posted on 28/2/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Herself was out visiting a friend last night.

In conversation, it seemed that another friend's husband has recently had a bit of a fright employment wise too.

He has worked all of his days in the building trade. Started as a joiner, then foreman, then site agent. The usual route up the ladder.
He's worked for big housebuilders for year now and got paid of late last year.

Now working doing night shift security.

It's bad.

owelly

posted on 28/2/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Jusr before Christmas i was talking to some builder chums. A couple were saying that they were busy and didn't think there was much of a problem around here and kept saying that 'good builders' would always have work. The rest of the guys were saying that they were having to drop their prices to get work and that they were working for the same hourly rate as they were ten years ago but at least they had a fairly healthy diary.
I saw the two gobby builders a few days ago and they are both out of work and applying for jobs at the new Homebase in town.........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

spdpug98

posted on 5/3/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spdpug98
The company I work for has too, I find out on Wednesday if I am to be made redundant or not

Good luck

[Edited on 27/2/09 by spdpug98]

Hope it works out for you guys, I got the nod today that I will be OK

Good luck

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.