Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra/scorpio rear end Help!!
kyanther

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
sierra/scorpio rear end Help!!

Im trying to see what parts can be combined between the above cars.

what I would really like is to use 7.5 diff with scorpio drive shafts for extra track. but run 13" rims.

my Q's are,

what is the difference between sierra and scorpio bearing carriers and calipers.
i.e. are the bearing's or whole unit interchangable.

Is the mounting points for the calipers the same on both models.

hope you see what i meen. i've got the scorpio bits so really need more info on the sierra bit's

NS Dev

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
despite having had plenty of both in bits I can't remember the answers to all the above, but I do know that the caliper mounts are not the same.

Actually the bolt centres are the same but they are further from the centre of the bearing.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
only difference is the scorpio has wheel 5 studs not 4

thats it,

I have the scorpio setup that was fitted to an unmodified MK sierra chassis. Brake disks and callipers are the same too as sierra

its all now fitted into a standard GTS de-dion axle without any mods

[Edited on 6/3/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Believe it or not they will both give you the same track.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mcerd1

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
when you say scorpio do you mean the MK3 Granada (85-94) or the really ugly Scorpio (95-98) ?

as far as I know they both rear discs on all models and have the same 100mm bolt-on driveshafts

the mk3 granada's (85-94) have 5 stud hubs and 7" or 7.5" diffs

the later scorpio's (95-98) have 4 stud hubs and 7.5" diffs

[Edited on 6/3/09 by mcerd1]

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

the really ugly Scorpio (95-98) ?

you mean someone actually bought one...OMG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

the really ugly Scorpio (95-98) ?

you mean someone actually bought one...OMG

my physics teacher had one (back in 95-97) - I guess I don't need to say any more

on the plus side now that they are worthless scrap we get the low ratio 7.5" diffs (4.1 and 4.27) from the 2.0 8v and 16v
and the cossie 24v BOB (updated BOA from the granada) is supposed to be more than 200bhp - not bad for a boat anchor (although its a bit big for a se7en but that hasn't stopped some people)

tomprescott

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
A while back I saw one of the really ugly scorpio's on the motorway, the guy had done it day-glo lime green with big white alloys and a playboy vinyl, i shook my head at him in disgust and he hung his in shame!
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
i shook my head at him in disgust and he hung his in shame!

bet he then drove it straight to the scrapyard

tendoshingan

posted on 6/3/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, but there most be loads of those fugly scorpios available now, running perfectly well and really cheap that will be just ripe pickings to use as a donor.
James

posted on 6/3/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Haha, I actually don't mind them.

Was thinking about getting an estate one and stripping out the rear for taking stuff to and from the tip and doing up the house and transporting tools!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Cobra289

posted on 6/3/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
To make it complete I can say the next.

Scorpio Mk1 hub 5 studs
Scorpio Mk 2 hub 4 studs
Both have the caliper mounting holes with a distance of 90 mm
Use bearings with the size:
OD = 68 mm
ID = 40,75 mm
W = 21,25 mm

SIERRA

Depends of ABS
The ABS ones have the same size as the Scorpio Mk2 and also the same bearings size. [Large as above mentioned]
In both cases the "Stub Axle" is fully splined and the amount of splines is 27.
The bearings are supported at the hub flange and the bearing carrier but NOT at the stub axle.
Stub axle seal diameter is 56 mm for Scorpios and Sierra with ABS

Sierra Cosworth has the large bearings and the full splined Stub Axle
The bearing carrier has the supports of the calipers at 90 mm but it has a 10 mm more offset from the center.
So that means that they use larger disks [273 mm] with the same caliper instead of the standard 253 mm.

I hope this help!

Regards,
Cobra289

https://forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=1699619

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/3/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tendoshingan
Ah, but there most be loads of those fugly scorpios available now, running perfectly well and really cheap that will be just ripe pickings to use as a donor.

They are not that cheap......Im after one for the 24v boat anchor and before the crunch they sold for 800 quid...... now they are dropping back to the 200 plus mark

gazza285

posted on 6/3/09 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
How wide do you want it? My Westfield had an Atlas axle with 8" RWD rims and it was ridiculously wide, wider than my S80, looked completely out of proportion. Not much body roll though!

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

kyanther

posted on 7/3/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.
the sierra drive shafts are way smaller in curcumfrance and length (oh err) than the one's of my ugly scorpio 2.9 cosworth one's and the 7'1/2 dif is wider too so how is the track the same? (maybe somthing wheel side but i cant see what?

I bought the scorp for the engine etc to put in a kit but have now ended up using a zetec st170 and a turbo!!! i ran the car for neerly a year before stripping it and it was great 0-60 in well under 9sec's did this at Bruntingthorpe!!!!

If enyone is interested engine etc will be up for sale soon. I have lots of parts including gaskets and a rwd mt75 for the V6!! and to turbo manifolds.

does enyone have some sierra bearing housing's i could buy??

britishtrident

posted on 7/3/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tendoshingan

But Ford only sold a tiny handful (by Ford standards) in the UK --- istr something like 150 per year.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.