Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA fail…then a 1st time pass – Aberdeen
Slater

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
SVA fail…then a 1st time pass – Aberdeen

What a day! Failed and passed in one day. Loaded the car up onto trailer last night, woke up to a hard frost -6 C and setting on some very icy roads, which had not been gritted at 6:30 am. I made the right decision to trailer it. I would have spun off on ice into a ditch if I drove the kit car.

Arrived OK, met Doug, the VOSA mannie, first test was the emissions which it failed, he was doing a CAT test with fast idle readings, we tried it twice but no luck. I questioned the test as I was expecting the 3.5” CO and 1200 PPM at natural idle, he showed my some pages from the SVA manual (section 18*, pages 5 and 8) which seemed to show a post 92 engine needed a CAT test, he seemed to know what he was doing. (My engine is Aug 94)

Next fail was I did not have a nozzle restrictor in the fuel filler.
Also, after he took it for a drive round the centre, he noted I needed a throttle return spring as the throttle took too long to close after he took his foot off the pedal.

He also spotted that the top rear shock bolts were loose and gave me time to tighten them up on the ramp. I had forgotten to check these!!!

Everything else was OK. So just 3 fail items, he wrote out the fail sheet and I loaded the car back on the trailer. I was still not convinced about the emissions test, so called Mark at Mac#1, he thought that the wrong test was done and called his SVA mannie to check. Then advised to go back in. So I went back to find Doug and asked him to check again and call the SVA technical centre if he wasn’t sure. He consulted the manual, with my proof of engine age letter for about ˝ hr and got more confused, then called SVA technical centre in Swansea to check. They confirmed I had been given the wrong test. A natural idle with 3.5% CO and 1200 PPM was all that was required. A CAT test is not required. Also the nozzle restrictor rule did not apply.

I began to get excited, I asked for 15 mins to make a throttle return spring, Mark’s suggestion was,”pop into a nearby office, ask for a red rubber band and fit it to the carbs”. I did just this using 3 bands to get an improvement. Some mechanics from a nearby tyre place came over to help out, along with 6 people just passing by.

I drove back to the SVA centre, he had already written out my MAC and did not check the new throttle return spring.

I drove off after a total of 4 hrs, with a big smile on my face, straight to DVLA office and handed in all my paperwork, so should get the DVLA inspection soon.

Doug was fine and admitted his mistake and apologised for the hassle.
So….after a long emotional roller coaster of a day, I got a first time pass!!!!!!

Thanks to Mark at Mac#1, for his advice, not just on the day, but over the last 3 years.

Result!

SVA frosty morning
SVA frosty morning

A cold and frosty morning

at SVA centre w burger van
at SVA centre w burger van

Handy burger van

Passed SVA
Passed SVA

On the way home with Mac#1 and MAC Cert

[Edited on 6/3/09 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

mackei23b

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Good result, great feeling, well done!
RichardK

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant pass, yep certainly pays off to politely question something you feel is wrong, end of the day everyone is human, the trick is to do without been arrogant in my view.

Nicely done m8, ready for the summer!

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
001Ben

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
thats brilliant news.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations on the pass - great feeling hey!!

I'm very surprised the SVA tester didnt know the emmissions rules off by heart!! Makes you wonder how many others he has failed without good reason for what i know off the top of my head!!

kevmcdo

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well done.

Your dead right about Doug.

He was most helpfull when I got my car SVA'd there.

Cheekily after the test I asked him to carry out the DVLA inspection as they are an inspection center too, Within 30 seconds he was filling out the inspection form with my chassis number and faxed it to Dundee DVLA..
Dundee DVLA accepted this as inspection and I got my plates and tax in double quick time.

Never had a burger van outside when I was there though !!!!!

chris_smith

posted on 6/3/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
great result well done

chris

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Fozzie

posted on 6/3/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
What a roller coaster of lows and highs for you!

Well done, enjoy, but be careful out there...

ATB Fozzie

Edit to add:- Just seen you live in Old Rayne!

Stayed over night at a pub there a couple of years back when we took the VXT up tour Gods Back Garden.....

[Edited on 6-3-09 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

speedyxjs

posted on 6/3/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well what a day!
Well done

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Slater

posted on 6/3/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Fozzie, that will be the Lodge Hotel, I live very close to it, about 40 paces. It's closed down now though. If you are passing again, stop off and I'll provide refreshments. There is a camp site about 60 paces away, if you want to stay the night.

There are some very good quiet roads up here for a driving tour.
Keith.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

matt.c

posted on 6/3/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well done. Now get some miles on the clocks.

Fozzie

posted on 6/3/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Fozzie, that will be the Lodge Hotel, I live very close to it, about 40 paces. It's closed down now though. If you are passing again, stop off and I'll provide refreshments. There is a camp site about 60 paces away, if you want to stay the night.

There are some very good quiet roads up here for a driving tour.
Keith.

Its closed ?!? .......Oh no!

We had a very fine meal there, and went for a walk to 'walk it off' .....

Probably walked near your place then......sad to hear it has closed though..

We go up that way quite often, MIL was born in Ellon but grew up in Nairn where most of the rellies are... but it was the first time we had driven up, hence the 'stop-off'... If we do it again, will deffo pop in for a cuppa..... well done on your SVA again, but be careful of those roads at this time of year...

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Danozeman

posted on 6/3/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well done mate!! Bet your glad you checked if he was wrong!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

omega 24 v6

posted on 7/3/09 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
A big well done Keith. He was a bit iffy about my engine as well re cat test but we agreed as my v5 was feb 92 and his paperwork said post aug 92 that a non cat was the way to go.

I hope you realize how bloody lucky you were.I had to walk across the road to get to the burger van

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.