Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do sidelights have to work with Igg off?
tegwin

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Do sidelights have to work with Igg off?

As the question really...

Do sidelights have to work with the ignition off?

I might possibly have wired the ones in the TVR so they only work with the ignition on..... The hazards work ok though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
i think they do, like parking lights

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tegwin

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ok... so if the sidelights have to work with the ignition off...

Are the headlights allowed to work with the ignition off as well? (I know its a bad idea, but hey ho...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mediabloke

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Ok... so if the sidelights have to work with the ignition off...

Are the headlights allowed to work with the ignition off as well? (I know its a bad idea, but hey ho...)

Mine do. Conversely IIRC, the headlights are switched off on the current Fords when the key's removed, leaving only the sidelights...

Or maybe the Southern Comfort's numbing my brain...?

[Edited on 9/3/09 by mediabloke]

blakep82

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
on my E36 BMW (and my E30), and my dads vauxhall omega if you leave headlights on and turn the ignition off, the headlights go off and sidelights stay on. its how i plan to wire mine up

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yes side lights DO have to work with the ignition OFF. If not for SVA then a must for MOT. They will not care a jot if the headlight still work with the ignition off, but you will look very silly the day you find a flat battery, because you left the headlights on.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

blakep82

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Yes side lights DO have to work with the ignition OFF. If not for SVA then a must for MOT. They will not care a jot if the headlight still work with the ignition off, but you will look very silly the day you find a flat battery, because you left the headlights on.

wonder how you'd make a buzzer that goes off when the key switch is turned off but the lights are on?

Simon

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
My headlights and sidelights both work without the key in ignition.

ATB

Simon

Hellfire

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
The parking lights a re wired up to permanent live - no relay.

The headlight relay is wired to switched (Ignition) live.

Hence - sidelights can be turned on at any time. Headlights only with Ignition.

A buzzer can be wired by fitting it to the sidelight and a earthing through the door switch - now all you need is a door...

Steve

Findlay234

posted on 10/3/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Is this a requirement for SVA or MOT at all?. All my bravo lights (except hazards) go off when you turn off the ignition! I like it that way so you never have to worry if youve left your lights on.....
loggyboy

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Some ignition barrels have a switched earth when turned off (I know most vaushalls do anyway) , this could be wired in to the make a lights buzzer work.

Mistral Motorsport

rusty nuts

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
Is this a requirement for SVA or MOT at all?. All my bravo lights (except hazards) go off when you turn off the ignition! I like it that way so you never have to worry if youve left your lights on.....

Most Fiats have an extra position on the ignition switch to turn on the "position " lights when the key is removed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.