Poll: Fuel filler location??? [View Results]
Boot lid
Rear panel

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel filler location???
Mark G

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel filler location???

I can't decide where to put my fuel filler cap. Should I put it on the top of the boot or in the back panel?

My thoughts are that if I put it in the back panel then it'll look very busy on the os of the car as the fog will be below it. Also I'm wondering if the angle in the pipe will make it tricky to fill.

Where would you put yours?

bigrich

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Rear panel fillers can br tricky to fill with fuel, I now have a top filler with a straight fuel hose and is much better AIMHO

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Shamrock GS

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I put mine on the lid as I couldn't get enough space to connect the filler, bendy pipe and tank inlet if it was at the back. Works fine and doesn't clutter the rear view.

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
Rear panel fillers can br tricky to fill with fuel, I now have a top filler with a straight fuel hose and is much better AIMHO

Tricky - TRICKY The high priest of understatement!!!

I made mine with the same curve as a filler nozzle, so the tip would look straight into the tank so filling would be easy - BUT OH NO..

It is a race to fill my 6 gallon tank before the 5 min cut off point stops the flow. I go in to pay with tears of frustration running down my cheeks.

Do yourself a BIG favour, put the filler on the top

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

eznfrank

posted on 15/3/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
anyone done the rear panel but on the side of the car? Should get a bit more room for the bend then?
tomgregory2000

posted on 15/3/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is on the back and its a pain to fill but my vote has gone on rear panel, it looks so much better
iiyama

posted on 15/3/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mines on the top of the scuttle!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Snuggs

posted on 15/3/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
anyone done the rear panel but on the side of the car? Should get a bit more room for the bend then?

Yep, but got so pi$$ed off with it that I moved the filler to the boot lid

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

wilkingj

posted on 15/3/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Top lid... DONT put in in the side, unless you like paying to wash the forecourt in Unleaded

OR... Dont have an external filler. Put it inside the boot area. Only its a pain having to open the rear panel every time you fill up. (almost every time I take the car out)

Just my 2 reils worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 15/3/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Put it on the boot lid. Mine was on the back first and it takes ages to get any fuel in and it spits back and runs down the panel

Mines on the top now and still have to fanny on filling it but at least its not running or spitting back.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mark G

posted on 15/3/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, I figured top would be better but wanted to check first. No I just need to make a boot lid of some sort.
Ninehigh

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Be tricky and put it in the engine bay

I remember an article on the 205 T16, was mid engined so the filler was under the bonnet, apparently lots of people would stop the guy from "spraying petrol on a hot engine"

RK

posted on 16/3/09 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
Boot lid is good advice that I plan to follow. Nice one about "how hard can it be" too. I used to say that. Now I know: VERY

[Edited on 16/3/09 by RK]

sebastiaan

posted on 16/3/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've just put mine in the rear panel. It looks so much better then on top, and i'm planning a softtop, which would make filling up an "inside job"....

Might have to work out some form of filler neck breather now that i've read this. Has anyone got a properly functioning rear panel filler, or are they all a bit duff?

C10CoryM

posted on 17/3/09 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
If you plan on rain gear you best put it on the rear. Fuel filler inside the cockpit is probably not wise .

FYI you can put the filler anywhere as long as it is properly vented. When you are pumping fuel into the tank, the air has to get out. If it can't it builds pressure and *chunk* the fuel pump shuts off. All you need to do is have a vent tube go up to the filler neck above the end of the nozzle and you will be fine.

Cheers.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C10CoryM

posted on 17/3/09 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I have a little more time now to clarify.
Pumping fuel into a sealed container means that the air needs to get out or you will either: trip the pressure valve on the pump, or compress the air and get a face full of fuel when it de-compresses.
In the fuel pump nozzle there is a little tube that goes to a pressure valve in the pump. The valve will shut off when it sees pressure. Usually the pressure comes when fuel covers the end of the nozzle and it trys to pump fuel back up the valve tube. It also happens when your fuel tank isn't vented right and air pressure (air trying to get out from fuel going in) goes up the valve tube.

So, the volume of fuel going in needs to have the same volume of air coming out or you will build pressure. See attached doodle for the normal way of doing this.
The doodle on the left is the way that almost all current production vehicles are.

Only other thing of note in fuel tank design is that air also needs to get into the the tank when your fuel pump is drawing fuel out. If it's not able to pull air in through a vented cap or a vent, you can lose fuel volume to the point the car shuts off.

I hope this helps clear things up. There is no reason you can't put a proper filler neck in the rear or side panels and still be able to fuel up quickly and safely.
Cheers,
Cory Rescued attachment fill-neck-02-md.jpg
Rescued attachment fill-neck-02-md.jpg

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.