Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing Fuel Line
supercat

posted on 16/3/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Fixing Fuel Line

Does it have to be p-clipped or will riveted cable tie saddles and cable ties be ok?

Cheers,
James

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 16/3/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
rubber covered p-clip at a maximum of every 6 inches, DO NOT cable tie fuel lines
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/3/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
cable ties are for chavs boy racers

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

James

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
rubber covered p-clip at a maximum of every 6 inches, DO NOT cable tie fuel lines

Unless this is an IVA change then it's minimum 300mm (12" ). I actually did mine more like 6" but some places that's incovenient.

[Edited on 16/3/09 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

omega0684

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
sorry my bad, it is no more than every 12 inches
tendoshingan

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
For SVA I thought the only mention of attaching anything is that the loom and electrics have to be every 12inches.
I can't remember any mention of attaching the fuel line or brakes.
Maybe someone will correct me on this.

Obvioulsy though for common sense and safety I did mine every 12".

omega0684

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
break & fuel lines must be secured at least every 12 inches or 300 mm.
twybrow

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
DO NOT cable tie fuel lines

Alex - was the a fail point at Brum SVA centre? My rigid lines are P-clipped as oer the manual, but at the end of the run (at tank and engine) the fuel line is rubber hose, which I have cable tied in place. Is this an SVA fail or do you mean for the rigid lines? how do you go about securing a fuel line around the engine?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
As above - i wouldnt cable tie fuel lines at all whether its an SVA fail or not - definately not with rubber fuel hose anyway. Dont want anything that could potentially cause a fuel leak.

twybrow

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like I've got some awkward drilling tonight then! What about cable tieing fuel lines together just for neatness? At the back of my car, where the fuel lines exit the tunnel and move to the tank, I have cable tied them together, out of neatness more than anything. Does this sound like a problem as well?
supercat

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
OK.... next stupid question, can I run 2 copper lines in one p-clip? (with suitable wrapping to stop the 2 rubbing together)
Hellfire

posted on 16/3/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by supercat
OK.... next stupid question, can I run 2 copper lines in one p-clip? (with suitable wrapping to stop the 2 rubbing together)

I would think that would be frowned upon. Use two P-Clips held with the same screw/rivet - that's what we did. One P-Clip either side...

Steve

omega0684

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
as a rule of thumb, dont think that a question is too daft to ask.

but as stated above, use two separate p-clips and don't run 2 lines through one clip.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.