Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: screw on petrol cap
rumplitter

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
screw on petrol cap

I'd like to have a screw on pretrol cap lid to my fuel cell, proud of the bodywork.
Apart from the obvious rules of dia. and only allowing a unleaded nozel into it are there any other rules preventing me from doing this?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/MiniMojoProject.JPG

blakep82

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
theres something about a 'positive locking action' but i'm not entirely sure what that means. I'd like to know too though, coz mine is a screw on cap, but will be entirely inside the bodywork

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

adithorp

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
As long as it's secure and seals then, no problem for SVA (depending on the testers interpretation of the regs'.
For IVA it has to have something (chain, cable, etc) attaching it to the car when undone so you can't leave it behind at the petrol station.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mad-butcher

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
doesn't it have to be a lockable cap, unless it's under a lockable flap, the chain idea goes back about 4o years
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 18/3/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Passed SVA fine with a screw on cap/neck on my fuel tank fully enclosed within the body work and under a lockable boot lid.

Then propmtly filled up and drove off leaving the screw on cap on top of the fuel tank

Now have a Halfords pussh in temporary one

adam1985

posted on 18/3/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
the chain ideas bloody stupid my tin top has a little rubber band so when you unscrew it it dangles and rubs on your paint needless to say ive cut it off now
adithorp

posted on 18/3/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think they're more concerned with safety issues of spilling fuel and venting fumes, than your paintwork.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

iank

posted on 18/3/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
doesn't it have to be a lockable cap, unless it's under a lockable flap, the chain idea goes back about 4o years

No

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

FEZ1025

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
No

Very informative Ian, now get out there & do some building you spend too much time on the forum & not enough in the garage LOL

Anyway mine passed SVA with a screw on/off petrol cap from some Japanese car that was able to be freely opened from the outside of the buggy as in not below/inside any lockable area.

Alan...

iank

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FEZ1025
quote:
Originally posted by iank
No

Very informative Ian, now get out there & do some building you spend too much time on the forum & not enough in the garage LOL

Anyway mine passed SVA with a screw on/off petrol cap from some Japanese car that was able to be freely opened from the outside of the buggy as in not below/inside any lockable area.

Alan...

Currently 250miles from my garage, but you're quite right I'm verrry slow.
Been fighting the lockable petrol cap battle misunderstanding over too many threads so not bothering to explain why anymore. Best check the IVA manual to make sure it's still the same.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

KJK

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
MY car passed and so did my mates

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.