Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sole trader book keeping package
DarrenW

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sole trader book keeping package

Ive just started a partnership company with a mate. Like a sole trader type but partnership. Not VAT registered, no employees. Was offered a detailed accounts package by the bank (Sage or Quickbooks) but at £20 a month it will be simply far too detailed and expensive.

Does anyone else have similar style of company? What do you use? Im thinking of setting up Excel spreadsheets fpr sales, purchases, profit and loss etc, but wondering if there are any templates or simple software available first. Prefer something free so i can have a play before committing to something more useful later.

Im a typical hands on type, can set up files etc, can use a computer but normally shy away from money and accounts.

Anyone ever set up a deed of partnership? Is it easy to do?

StevieB

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I bought sage small business and found it to be far too OTT for my business.

Deoends what your business does though - if you have lots of transactions then Sage could work well.

Beware of the hidden costs though - annual upgrades packages etc. are quite expensive. I resorted to a simple excel sheet as I can edit it to tell me whatever I want to know really quickly.

fov

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Excel did me for a couple of years. QB when you grow is good for smaller businesses. Sage is expensive and complicated.

I would say talk to your accountant though. Your situation my make one option better for you than the others.

DarrenW

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wont be a lot of transactions, so like you think the commercial packages will be too detailed.
I use Quickbooks pro at work and that is extremely way OTT for my needs.

Happy to use excel, but being an accounts numpty not sure ho to do to keep on right side of tax man. I might buy a book if i can claim back the cost

Next stage is to work out what we can and cannot claim for ref mileage and expenses.

Im confident that i can set up a file for purchases and a file for invoices to record what is paid and due etc. Given time i know i could devise several tabs on excel with formula to take data from one to another - however time would be better spent getting some work in. Any good free download templates out there?

SWW84

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I used Excel for a year and then found that it was getting easier to make mistakes with more and more info being added.

I moved to Sage Instant Accounts (version 12 at the time). It cost about £70 and has been well worth it.

Sage doesn't have to be complicated unless you want it to be.

My advice would be to buy a book keeping package and then spend a bit of money on getting a book keeper to show you how YOU can input it yourself. Saves lots of money in the longrun.

Hope this helps

mookaloid

posted on 19/3/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

DarrenW

posted on 19/3/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
U2U replied.

SWW84 - good advice, i can understand that.

Im not averse to the cost element as long as it adds value. I wont publically go into the reasons etc, but i know what im looking for - just not sure what it looks like.

JoelP

posted on 19/3/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
i do all my own accounts, and just have an accountant to do the PAYE for the employees. Did it on paper for 5 years, then moved onto spreadsheets when i went vat registered. Dead simple, i'd never used one and within an hour had made a detailed one to keep track of vat totals.

When you pass a certain turnover, you need to keep categories of expenses seperate, so its easier if you do this from the beginning. And also the asset pools where you knock big purchases off over a few years.

[Edited on 19/3/09 by JoelP]

DarrenW

posted on 19/3/09 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Joel - i think i know what you mean, but as of 1 hour ago i didnt know what expenses / sales ledgers / purchase ledgers etc were, so i need to start at the beginning and work up. I like the idea of having the basic elements covered though even if i dont have much to put in the sections at the moment.

As i say - ask me to develop a master timing plan and track product approvals, supplier development , PPAPand SOP dates etc and its like a walk in the park. Ask me to submit mileage and expenses on time and i shudder at the thought Im going for the manual ish accounts route to shock me into putting on the FD hat

Plain english is good at the moment.

Pdlewis

posted on 19/3/09 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Microsoft Accounts is free and very good runs an enterprise back end and dose alot of stuff very well

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

Robertf

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Been running 2 businesses 6 years on simple MS excel.

Buy a book (you can make it the first entry on your spreadsheet!)

As has already been said, try to categorise your expenses and although you don't have to, I keep every receipt so there won't be arguments about whether I did or did not incur an expense.

For a partnership, tax liability is very straightforward as well, just a simple partnership tax return, then each partner declares their share on their own tax rtn.

designer

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Money manager is the one for us numpty's.

http://www.moneysoft.co.uk/index.htm

Try the trial. It's cheap. it's easy, and it did me for years AND kept the VAT man happy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 20/3/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I just use Excel, have done for years, use it for purchase invoices, turnover figures, profit and loss accounts, etc, etc, never use anything else. I've tried, but always found them unnecessarily complicated and not suited to my business (retail).

My best bit of advice would be to get yourself on your local Business Link free courses. They will set you up with one of their accountants to advise you what you need to do, and they run excellent courses on book keeping and money management, and will be around to keep checks once things are up and running if you want them to.

The next thing to do is get yourself a good local book keeper. Don't need a full on accountant, preferably some semi-retired guy/lady who will charge a small amount to do 1/4 accounts and will almost certainly save your more they cost. Mine does all my expenses and definitely finds many more legitimate ways to claim than I would know. I just hand them a stack of receipts ever 1/4 and they do the rest

And I'm sure you know this, but be VERY careful setting up a partnership with a mate. Get everything in a proper legal partnership agreement drawn up by a solicitor (costs about £300-500). Almost every business advisor will tell you they are the first business type to fail, usually with the loss of the friendship as well.

[Edited on 20/3/09 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.