Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Golf rear calipers
AdamR

posted on 29/3/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Golf rear calipers

Guys... just trying to sort out my rear brakes. I was planning to go the Wilwood route, but they are expensive and the poor handbrake performance has put me off.

So... mk4 Golf calipers seem to be a good way to go and bolt straight onto the Sierra hub carriers.

Two questions:

1) How much lighter is the Golf caliper over the Sierra item?

2) Where can I get the caliper carrier from? Most places only sell the caliper body itself without the floating slider dodah. Is VW main stealer/scrappy my only option? Can't find them anywhere online.

Anyone know if Rally Design still do the Golf calipers? Can't find them on the website any longer.

tomgregory2000

posted on 29/3/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
scrappy?
daniel mason

posted on 29/3/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
im sure the caliper is lighter but the standard discs dont fit.by the time you replace disc i think the weight is very similar. im sure someone will come along with more info than me but im sure someone said this the other day
skippad

posted on 29/3/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Golf/audi/octavia (more options) are a lot lighter than sierra items.
I got mine off a 54plate Audi A3 in scrappy, i think they were low miles as they were as new.
They fit straight onto sierra uprights AND discs, even the handbrake cable is useable.
Those wanting to run 13" wheels will have to grind away some of cooling fins to
fit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR

posted on 29/3/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
im sure the caliper is lighter but the standard discs dont fit.by the time you replace disc i think the weight is very similar. im sure someone will come along with more info than me but im sure someone said this the other day

Yeah you're right about the disc. I'd have to use the large 273mm disc as used on some of the Sierra Cosworths... but I have to use that anyway as I have the Cossie hubs.

skippad

posted on 29/3/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

Yeah you're right about the disc. I'd have to use the large 273mm disc as used on some of the Sierra Cosworths... but I have to use that anyway as I have the Cossie hubs.

Yes i have standard sierra 4x4 hubs/discs (not cosworth) so all fit OK.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
james h

posted on 30/3/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yep just to add that if anybody uses standard rear disc hubs and carriers (i.e. not 4x4) then the disc wont sit far back enough, and the caliper is a centimetre or so too far out from the centre of disk. Easily sorted by some sort of spacer, but I haven't got round to that yet.
JAG

posted on 30/3/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

grind away some of cooling fins

I've designed two castings for these aluminium rear calipers and I can tell you they are NOT cooling fins but are there to give stiffness to the casting.

Less stiffness means more flexibility which will lead to a shorter fatigue life

You have been warned

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Miks15

posted on 30/3/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to steal but does anyone know what disc width and diameters these calipers will fit?

IM want to get a set but want to make sure the discs I already have (BMW)

AdamR

posted on 30/3/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Sorry to steal but does anyone know what disc width and diameters these calipers will fit?

IM want to get a set but want to make sure the discs I already have (BMW)

I'm planning to use 273mm diam solid (10mm) discs from a Sierra Cosworth. Should do the job nicely.

ghostrain

posted on 4/4/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Rally Design still have some of the new Golf calipers left .
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

JEPY

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Adam,

I've got a set including a handbrake cable for them unused that I'm now not going to use, purchased from Rallye Design.

Could do you a deal..?

James

PumaWestie

posted on 5/5/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone describe how they attached the brake hoses to the Golf calipers? I am using 13" rims so space is limited for banjo bolts but the thread in teh caliper appears to be M12 x 1 which makes using an adaptor necessary to screw in a 3/8 or M10 banjo which makes the connection bulky and therefore fouls the inner of the wheel rim.

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.