Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: slipper clutches
aka Keith

posted on 31/3/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
slipper clutches

I have searched the forum, but could not find the definative answer.

What is the general concensus:

Are slipper cluches good for in a BEC install/are they needed/is it worth the expense?

Do the racing guys use them, if available for their engine?

cheers
Craig

[Edited on 31/3/09 by aka Keith]

MikeCapon

posted on 31/3/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion, for what it's worth. Yes they are worth having if only to reduce over revving on downchanges. Probably more useful on a BEC than on the bike because if you're braking properly on a bike the rear wheel is hardly on the ground so all you get is a bit of locking up.

In a car or sidecar early downchanges are likely to result in Mr Conrod coming outside to play..

ETA Lots of recent 1000 motors have got them as standard so no extra expense

[Edited on 31/3/09 by MikeCapon]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 31/3/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I agree. Slpper clutches GOOOOOOOOOD! Stop rear wheels locking up and reduce risk of over revving the engine, particularly with big fat sticky car tyres!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Hellfire

posted on 31/3/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Slipper clutches are good for a BEC install although they're not essential IMHO. I guess it's all down to your driving style and if you're constantly locking the rears up on downshifts it might be worth getting one. Otherwise they're not worth the expense.

Phil

dean100yz

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Slipper clutches are good for a BEC install although they're not essential IMHO. I guess it's all down to your driving style and if you're constantly locking the rears up on downshifts it might be worth getting one. Otherwise they're not worth the expense.

Phil

Id go with hellfire. Ive had these on several road bikes - some being factory fitted. Although they stop complete lock up the wheel does not always move at the same speed as the front still (hope that makes sense) so you still get that back end weave. If you went hard into a corner leant over (or pushing hard in a bec) you'd still lose the back.

Also Id say a quickshifter that would blip the revs on downshifts would prob be more beneficial in a bec to try and smooth entry at high speeds etc.

I looked into slippers but dont think it would be worth it on a bec imho

thegasmen

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
slipper clutch

My Understanding was that the slipperclutch was designed to stop stress on the gearbox when down changing .All the extra weight of a bec when driving hard into a corner stops the gear box going pop.

Regards

Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.