Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: my cr@p day at the RR
gregs

posted on 3/4/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
my cr@p day at the RR

Really not a happy bunny Took my car down to RR today @ Mech to get properly setup, should have known it was going to go bad from the start when the trailer slid down the drive into the garage door.....

Dave at Mech was fantastic but still human, problems we had:

1. ITBs would not balance , after adjusting screws for 1/2 an hour, cylinder 4 pulling all the air - finally identified that THE BUTTERFLY WAS BENT!!!! fully shut, butterfly was clear at the top by about 1mm. No option but to bend it back (i have never heard of this before, and Dave had never experienced it before..) bent back Dave was able to balance them. (any body got a single Gsxr 600 throttle body?)

2. Plugs fouling - car was not running sweet - I had put this down previously to my inability to map, but pulling the plugs 2&3 soaked in oil.... new set, signs of oil after 15mins. Called it a day at this point.

Positive points - for the areas of the map we did look at, fuelling was about right. Maybe my mapping isn't as bad as I first thought....

Where do I go from here? - cylinder head was refurbed & ported over the winter so unless I have been really unlucky with 2 stem seals failing in no time? block was 2nd hand out of a westfield, re bored and only removed coz the guy upgraded to redtop, is possible the rings are shot, but compression (throttle closed) was @ 150, 150, 142, 135, which suggests rings are ok?

Any guidance on how to determine where the oil is coming from appreciated, or where I should go from here - I am sort of tempted to pull the lump and ask the guy who did the head to sort it for me.

Plan for the weekend - drop fluids & take off the inlet manifold, look at the back of the valves for oil.

Ho hum.

Greg

andyharding

posted on 3/4/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had 3 valve stem oils seals fail within a month or 2 of rebuilding my head. The seals were bought new but suspect they may have been old stock at the motor factors. It's possible to replace the seals without removing the head. Solved my oil on plug problems.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

gregs

posted on 3/4/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
cheers Andy - how did you change them, with the 'rope trick' or with a 'real' tool (compressor?)
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Use the rope trick first.....saves a new cylinder head gasket

gregs

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
have removed the manifold and there doesn't seem to be much on the back of the valves so not sure it's the stem seals- looks like it might be the rings
chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a sense of satisfaction now things seem to work ok

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I understand the text now........................

Hopefully tomorrow will be better

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/4/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

1. ITBs would not balance , after adjusting screws for 1/2 an hour, cylinder 4 pulling all the air - finally identified that THE BUTTERFLY WAS BENT!!!! fully shut, butterfly was clear at the top by about 1mm. No option but to bend it back (i have never heard of this before, and Dave had never experienced it before..) bent back Dave was able to balance them. (any body got a single Gsxr 600 throttle body?)

OH YES look for some of my efi posts. One of mine bent I Ireckoned it was when i had a backfire. It would only run on 3 cyls as it was WAY to lean.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

twybrow

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely, I went to Mech Repairs today to talk about a RR session, and Dave mentioned he had just had a nightmare Pinto in with problems.... I feel for you. It must be very frustrating!

Overall (I know it wasn't the session you had hoped for) how did you find Dave and Mech Repairs?

gregs

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Dave is very laid back, but certainly knows his stuff, even with my sick engine, I could feel the difference he had made - I will be taking it back to him once repaired.
C10CoryM

posted on 4/4/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
If the engine sat around for a long time and you don't have many miles on it you may have a couple stuck rings.
If so, try tipping a small amount of oil in each cylinder and going for a hard run as if you were trying to break in a new engine.

I had an oil burning truck that I thought the engine was done for so I got mad and ran the snot out of the it... turns out that's all it needed to re-seal the rings and stop smoking.
Good Luck.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gregs

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
haha! - took the head off this evening, and what do you know, valve stem seal moving up and down with the valve on cyl 2... have pushed it back into position with a couple of lollipop sticks - do you think it is likely to pop off again, or should I replace it while the head is off?
Have looked at the bores and nothing looks odd, so am hoping the stem seal is the only issue...(backed up by yesterday's comp test) will get a new gasket set & bolts in the morning and go from there.

Have started new thread on this

[Edited on 4/4/09 by gregs]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.