Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First drive, 2 questions.....
Slater

posted on 3/4/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
First drive, 2 questions.....

Just been for my first drive round the back lanes. Wow, it's a great experience! I spent about 20 minutes getting the hang of it, but taking it real careful.

The oil pressure stayed up at about 75 psi, which I thought was a bit high. What is the normal running oil pressure for a 1992 1.8 Zetec? It normally is about 90 psi on start up, but I thought it would drop down more than 15 psi when at running temp.

Also the water temp gauge never got above 70 Deg C. Is this low? Maybe it is being over cooled? Is that a problem if it is? I know that to run efficiently the engine should be at the right temp, but what is the right temp for this engine. The temp sender is in the thermostat housing.

There is a big smile on my face anyway.
Keith.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

omega0684

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
not sure about the oil pressure but the water temp does seem a little low, normal operating temperature is around 85 degrees and then fan on at about 95 degrees. maybe you have an extra-ordinary thermal efficient engine that converts more thermal energy into mechanical energy than normal?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mongrelwestie

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Oil pressure sounds normal, my temp never gets too high either unless I'm sitting in traffic? Not sure why?
C10CoryM

posted on 4/4/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know any specs, but oil pressure sounds normal.
For the coolant temp the first thing to do is verify the gauge is reading the correct temp. Most automotive gauges are very poor. Compare actual engine coolant temp to the guage reading.
If it is actually 70*C that is too cold. I would expect your engine would be at least 85-90*C ideal. Too cold will create sludge in your crankcase so try to avoid it.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C10CoryM

posted on 4/4/09 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Oh ya...... Congrats on getting the little car going
I'm jealous.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

DarrenW

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Oil pressure sounds great.
Water perhaps a bit low but you need to consider where the sensors are etc. Sometimes you need to tinker with different thermostats etc. For now though get some miles in and make observations over time. I found i had to establish what the norms were for my car over time. At first you are hyper sensitive to it all.

Once you get on a track everything you learn about the norms go out of the windows.

The experience of the first time the engine starts is only topped by the first proper registered drives out in decent weather.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.