Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Possible to get rose joints with different thread to bore?
hobbsy

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Possible to get rose joints with different thread to bore?

I basically could do with an M5 female (internally threaded) rose joint but with a 6mm bore.

From what I've seen so far the threaded part is always the same diam as the bore.

Clearly I could adapt a fully M6 male rose joint to M5 by attaching a bit of drilled and tapped rod but that will increase the length and I could do without that (will have to remake a mount bracket and the extra length would make the whole setup weaker).

Annoying thing was I only realised this problem at the last minute when I was about to bolt everything together!

If I could stop it from spinning I could maybe drill out an M5 5mm bore rose joint to 6mm

I've emailed a couple of suppliers but if anyone knows for sure that would be cool.

Thanks.

blakep82

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
i've got 5/8" thread with 1/2" rose joints on all my suspension, so it CAN be done, but whether you'll find those particular ones i don't know....

drilling the M5 ones out to 6mm it probably your best bet

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hobbsy

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
drilling the M5 ones out to 6mm it probably your best bet

But I can't see how you can drill out the bore (inside of the "rose" of a rose joint as it spins.

blakep82

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
ah, yeah, well that will be an issue where are you going to use them?

maybe light pressure on the drill, and holding the rose joint on something like a rubber sheet to make it grippy would help?

i had to slightly modify one of mine (i was going to use it for a steering rack mounting thing) and i ground it out with a dremmel if a perfect tight fit isn't entirely necessary

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hobbsy

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
The insides of these are pretty hard so take a bit of drilling.

The other way around it is to put an M5 bolt through the M6 rosejoint I have (which can't have ANY play) and sleeve it up to be M6 diam.

But I don't have a lathe so I'm a bit stuck as to how I'm going to get a precision bit of tube to go over an M5 bolt to make it M6...

ballcock

posted on 3/4/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Could you use a 6mm rose joint with a male thread and then use a 6mm x 5mm female socket which can be made at any decent machine shop if you can't buy one.
hobbsy

posted on 3/4/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ballcock
Could you use a 6mm rose joint with a male thread and then use a 6mm x 5mm female socket which can be made at any decent machine shop if you can't buy one.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said about drilling and tapping a bit of bar to make an M5 to M6 adaptor. Only problem is its going to add length to the assembly which isn't ideal but it may be the only way (other than sleeving up an m5 bolt as mentioned in my last post)

James

posted on 4/4/09 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it's possible.

Even if they're something you've got to order from the states or something.

There's a guy on here who sells them I think.

I seem to remember Syd Bridge was pretty knowledgeable about Rose joints. Chuck a u2u his way.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Liam

posted on 4/4/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
You can get oversize shank rod ends for heavy duty applications, but I've never ever ever seen oversize bore rod ends. You'll just have to adapt your design to what's available.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 15/4/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest I asked these dudes via ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170293875818

And they sorted me out an M6 rose joint like that but internally tapped to M5. Still had to shorten it but now finally sorted. May post a video of it working later (translogic powershifter and trickshifter with autoblip combined).

hobbsy

posted on 16/4/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
And the end result (apologies for crap photo was on my back) - this is directly underneath my gearshifter lever which is being retained (in case of problems). The prop would normally obscure most of this. Rescued attachment double-jointed.jpg
Rescued attachment double-jointed.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.