Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need advice on custom upright design
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/4/09 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Need advice on custom upright design

Hey guys, I've been looking for some uprights for my project car (a replica c3 corvette) for a while now and ended up buying some 300zx hubs. However I'm not that happy with them so I thought I'd run this idea past your expertise I've had the idea for these in my head for a while now but have only just got round to making a model of them (plenty of sketches on random pieces of paper though! ).
The cylindrical centre section is the hub carrier and is a thick walled tube machined out to accept the two bearings (tapered items). This hub carrier is welded to the two facing plates and then boxed in with the side and diagonal plates. The top and bottom inserts are bolted in (was thinking that this would allow some variation in castor/camber/kpi by having a variety of blocks on hand with the mounting holes in different locations). The axle itself is meant to be a screw threaded cortina spindle, the actual hub plate being bolted to what was the spindle side of it (not sure I'm happy with that arrangement as it puts the threaded section under shear- the version for welding may be the better option).
The model is something I made up this evening and isn't really to size (just meant for proof of concept). I made the model out of 1/8" sheet- would this be hefty enough?
Would really like some opinions on these.

Cheers guys.

[Edited on 8/4/09 by Badger_McLetcher]

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

designer

posted on 6/4/09 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
That seems very heavy and a lot of work.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/09 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmmm

Hugely over engineered, could be a hub for a main battle tank...

The angles are wrong for the ball joints, and not a drop of caster either. So you’d have to take the top and bottom plates off to bolt on the ball joints?

What’s wrong with just using a production car one??? It would have the correct angles and weight about a ¼ of that

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Seems very complex (and heavy) to me when you could take a stock production part to do the same job better. Castor and camber adjustment would be better built into the actual suspension components - i.e. the wishbone pivot/mounting points.

Just my opinion BTW - perhaps you're trying to achieve something more specific with your design...?

v8kid

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Racecar Engineering March 2005 had a quite detailed article on upright design which I found usefull. Also Aurora bearings publish a free article on sizing rod ends for uprights.

Stanniforth in his articles if you read them closely implies that the outboard pick up points have a less dramatic effect than the positioning of the upright pickup points and you can verify this for yourself by playing around with the free SLARK programme.

How are you going to tighten the bolts on your tapers?

Like the other chaps it looks a bit heavy to me. 2mm appears to be the norm for a 700kg locost with about 1.2mm for a racer depending on the intergrity of the design.

Cheers

David

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Havn't got time for a detailed reply atm, but I'll just quickly put the following replies:

-overengineered: Probably! I'm a bit prone to that. The hoped estimate for the car is 1000kg and 500bhp/lbf to begin with (up to 1000bhp when I can get myself another engine to build) so I tend to build things beefy-though 1/8" steel plate probably is overkill!
-Why not use Production items?: Basically I've got these 300zx hubs but the offset on them (IE BJ-Faceplate distance) is huge, and space for the wishbones is at a premium on this build (also the reason I didn't want to use Wilwood Prospindles). They're also heavy (about 7kg each) and seem to have minimal castor. If anyone can point me towards a better 4.5"/114.3mm PCD 5 stud hub/upright I'd gladly have a look at it!

-No Castor/wrong angle for BJ's: As I said this is more a proof of concept design than a proper one. Castor can very easilly be put in by altering the mounting holes. Also it's designed for rod ends rather than ball joints (Spigots attached to the inserts).

Right I'm out of time! Input noted and will try to draw up a proper design tonight.
BTW had a quick look for the aurora/slark stuff you mentioned V8kid and turned up nothing? Will have a better look later.
Cheers for the comments guys

MikeRJ

posted on 6/4/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Honda Prelude, Accord and Integra have double wishbone front suspension and 114.3x5 PCD, might be worth a look? Also I think the Lexus is200 is double wishbone with same PCD.

[Edited on 6/4/09 by MikeRJ]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/4/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Honda Prelude, Accord and Integra have double wishbone front suspension and 114.3x5 PCD, might be worth a look? Also I think the Lexus is200 is double wishbone with same PCD.

[Edited on 6/4/09 by MikeRJ]

I thought only the Prelude Type R had 114.3x5 and the others were 114.3x4? Ta for the IS 200 idea, will have a butchers

MikeRJ

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Probably should have said Accord/Integra Type R, the standard versions are 4x114.3 as you say.

Lots of other Honda stuff is also 114.3x5 (Legend, Shuttle, Civic Type R etc), but not sure if any of them use a double wishbone front suspension. Virtualy all Lexi use the same size as well, but again the is200 is the only one I know for sure that has double wishbones rather than struts, the other models may be similar.

hellbent345

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
yeh as others have said, looks a bit mighty, can you get someone with some fea software to go over it and slim it down, im sure it could be made thinner and lighter in quite a few places?

EDIT looks like youve got solidworks anyway? try and use cosmosxpress on it with the proper restraints, thatll give you an idea how thin you can make all the constituent bits

[Edited on 6/4/09 by hellbent345]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 8/4/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Right, I've finished the redesign. This version uses 16 swg sheet on most sides now and the hub carrier has been redesigned. Projected weight is about 3.85kg each which is half that of the 300zx items I have. I havn't done any stress analysis on this yet- if someone has access to a program and wouldn't mind doing it I'd be obliged, otherwise I'm going to have to wait until after my exams and do it manually
Anyways here's the images. Any better?

BTW hellbent345 I don't have solidworks, I've got a program Uni gave me called SolidEdge. The stress analysis in it is useless!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

WIMMERA

posted on 11/4/09 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
If the Honda has the stud pattern you require, fabricate an upright to accommodate the live stub axle and bearing, I used that method to make uprights from Peugeot 205 bits, it's very simple and effective, use the bore dimensions from the Honda upright to get the right size for the press fit bearing. I used hollow bar for the bearing housing and 65x35 box for the upper and lower ball joint inserts (similar to your design) .

Wimmera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.