Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Pad size
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Pad size

I'm rigging up a bastard big brake upgrade using various different components.

Everything is looking ok except that the pad area is slightly larger than the friction area of the disc im using. This means that a lip will form on the pad as it wears.

How bad is that? Because to me it doesn't sound good!

One couldn't trim brake pads could one??

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

02GF74

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
dunno but mr whippy will know - but how is that different in having a slightly smaller pad so the lip develops on the disc?

I cannot see how the lip on the pad would ever affect braking - let's say the disc got really hot and expanded to a bigger diameter - this would rub agains the lip so it will wear it enough so that you'll never get a problem with the pads not pressing against the disc.

anyway let's see what the collective brain that is lcb have to say.

oh, re trimmingthe pads - dunno about that but if there was an accident and the pads were examined, it would not do you any favours to have lateredthem from the manufacturers design.

[Edited on 8/4/09 by 02GF74]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/4/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that trimming pads is dodgy to say the least, but as devils advocate is it not the same as using manufacturers parts in non intended applications like locosts

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
oh, re trimmingthe pads - dunno about that but if there was an accident and the pads were examined, it would not do you any favours to have lateredthem from the manufacturers design.
[Edited on 8/4/09 by 02GF74]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Staple balls

posted on 8/4/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just go at the lip with a file occasionally, bring the pads back to flat.

Worth mentioning I used to do this (and other sins) fairly regularly on mountain bike disc brakes, never had pads fall apart on me.

[Edited on 8/4/09 by Staple balls]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 8/4/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
As with 02GF74 I'm a little wary about the idea of trimming the pads. As long as the lip formed doesn't foul anything I'd leave it on. The classic problem would be that if worn the lip on the pad would stop the worn part contacting with the brake disc

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

owelly

posted on 8/4/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would say, and in fact I do say, that having the pads outside the swept area of the disc would not be a problem at all. Providing that it's only a little bit and not 50% of the pad was hanging off!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/4/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
without measuring i would say it about 2% max

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

clairetoo

posted on 8/4/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say not a problem at all - I tried to fit some Hi-spec callipers on to 285mm disc's , and the piston's were off the edge of the disc by about 30% - and they couldnt see the problem
Neddless to say they went back for a refund......

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

C10CoryM

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've run into pad wear like this on customer cars before. Usually it's a bent pin, or the wrong pads installed.
You will not notice any braking issues from this while driving.
I do wonder though if the pads I see hanging over a lot started out as just a little, then as the pads wore a tapered edge they slowly pushed further and further out bending the caliper pins.

I would just chamfer the edges on the grinder so they don't hang over. There is no harm in this, and it ends any concerns.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 11/4/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you find any pads that are a little smaller or discs a little bigger?

I'm guessing it's a no but should be worth looking so as not to have any problems. I'd see it being an mot fail if they find the pad hanging over the disc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.