Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Turbo engine build thread
djtom

posted on 9/4/09 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Turbo engine build thread

To go along with the rebuild of my car, I thought it probably deserved a new engine as well. Also, I needed something to do after it gets too late to use the angry grinder.

Luckily ebay came to the rescue and provided a set of custom forged Zetec turbo pistons made by Cosworth, an overbored Zetec block, a set of Eagle steel rods and an entire spare engine for very little money. Bonus.

Lets get building!

Firstly, strip block and head, and ready all parts for the parts washer

Before using the parts washer, make sure that domestic management has either given her permission (no chance) or has gone out for the day. Load parts into parts washer and add dishwasher tablet

Wait an hour, and grab the parts before the drying cycle really gets going. Dry everything with clean workshop rag, then spray everything with WD40, as the dishwasher salt makes everything get surface rust REALLY quickly. Turns out nice though:

In the case of the block, the outer surface of the block wasn't WD40'd, as I painted it with some blue Hammerite. Looks nice:

With the block painted. it was time to go and do some shopping for some new piston rings, new main and big end bearing shells, a head gasket set and some new stretch bolts for the head.

More soon...

Tom

Staple balls

posted on 10/4/09 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Before using the parts washer, make sure that domestic management has either given her permission (no chance) or has gone out for the day. Load parts into parts washer and add dishwasher tablet

Brave man.

omega0684

posted on 10/4/09 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
DUDE ! Your making my pinto rebuild look bad!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 10/4/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I just had to show the wife that lol.

Ive sneaked a few small bits in but never a zetec block

Danozeman

posted on 10/4/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
You are very brave putting a block in there.

Your engine matches your vice!!

Ill be flollowing this keenly. I intednd a zetec turbo for my winter build/mod.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ashg

posted on 10/4/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
any pictures of the dish washer after?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

djtom

posted on 10/4/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

Your engine matches your vice!!

Well, while I had the paintbrush in my hand....

Tom

djtom

posted on 16/4/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
So three expensive packages from Cosworth turned up...

Piston rings are alarmingly expensive! You can also see the core plug used to block off the main block breather here (usual block breather won't fit behind the turbo) and the stub breather pressed into the block to replace it. One of the engine mount bolts was drilled out to allow this to be pressed in - there's one on each side of the block.

Time to gap the rings. Starting with the top ring, put a ring in each bore

and use a piston to push it down until it is square

Then use a feeler gauge to measure the ring gap.

Compare to the piston manufacturer's recommended gap. Surprisingly enough, all of mine were pretty much spot on - 0.40mm for the top rings (0.35-0.50 suggested), 0.40mm for the second rings (0.40mm suggested) and I can't remember about the oil control rings, but they were in spec as well. Excellent - no ring filing - a job I hate.

Time to fit rings to pistons. Essential equipment top right. Only 4% to aid concentration :-)

Rings fitted

Old pistons next to new pistons. Spot the difference!

[Edited on 16/4/09 by djtom]

[Edited on 16/4/09 by djtom]

djtom

posted on 16/4/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Main bearing side of block ready to accept main shells

New main shells

Main shells fitted

Note the centre shell incorporates the side thrustwashers

Fitting shells to main caps. See how the tab on the bearing locates in the recess in the shell.

Next job - make sure that the journal to bearing clearances are within spec. For which we need Plastigauge, a simple yet clever invention.

You cut a strip to length, place it on the journal, torque the main cap up to the specified torque, then undo it again and measure the width of the squashed plastiguage against the supplied measurement strip.

All the main bearings were within spec (as defined by the Haynes Book of Lies, anyway) so that should be ok - no need for the crank to be reground.

Next on the list was to check the crankshaft endfloat. All the main caps were refitted and torqued up, then a dial gauge was set up to measure longitudinal movement of the crankshaft.

Using a screwdriver between one of the crank webs and one of the main caps, the crankshaft was levered as far as it would go in one direction, the reading on the dial was noted, then it was levered the other way and the new reading noted. The difference between the two is the endfloat. Again, within spec, at 0.14mm.

Tom

Jenko

posted on 17/4/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic thread....keepm um coming...I love the engine block in the dishwasher :-)

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

paul the 6th

posted on 14/6/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
this has been bookmarked in my "Special Car Stuff" bookmarks folder. Picked up 1.8 silvertop zetec engine for 26 quid in january. Whipped the head cover off yesterday as I was arsing about in the garage, the cams look mint and the oil is lovely and golden (with a reputed 90,000 miles on the clock) it looks like I've picked up a much loved engine which is going to get some special treatment

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.