Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive flanges of LSD diff
Cobra289

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Drive flanges of LSD diff

Hi,

I am looking for a confirmation of a question.
I have a 3,62 7" diff. but it doesn't have the drive flanges.
My drive shafts with lobro type CV's joints have a diameter of 100 mm

The question is:
Would the standard 100 mm 7" differential drive flanges fit the diff with LSD type that is also a 7"?????

I have found a picture on this forum that represent the right flanges:
[Don't know the owner, but thanks for sharing]

https://forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=1699619

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that the LSD drive flanges are different - that's why you can't use push-in shafts with an LSD but you can use them with a non-LSD diff that had bolt-on shafts originally.
Cobra289

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
My understanding is that the LSD drive flanges are different - that's why you can't use push-in shafts with an LSD but you can use them with a non-LSD diff that had bolt-on shafts originally.

So that means I need two drive flanges that are specific for LSD.

Is there some one that has a set of such drive flanges????????

Best regards,
Cobra289

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
As it happens I've been searching around on this all night now and I'm confused.

Between here, ebay and PassionFord I understand a push in shaft diff can be fitted with the lsd unit from a bolt on type (4X4)

Can anyone confirm that (whos done it!)

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Cobra289

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
As it happens I've been searching around on this all night now and I'm confused.

Between here, ebay and PassionFord I understand a push in shaft diff can be fitted with the lsd unit from a bolt on type (4X4)

Steve

OK I think that the next applies.
LSD diff has the extra package behind the "Ring Gear" therefore the flanged drive shafts are different compared to the normal bolt-on drive flanges.

If someone has installed a push-in shaft in a LSD that doesn't mean that has been done correctly.
I think that I can say that is fits [same diameters same amount of splines, but the splines will not go all the way in the gears like it should be.
Or you put the differential input flanged no at the center of the car and you have a different TRACK.

I think that I am stuck to find a set of original LSD drive flanges [4x4] and the question is: Have those 100 mm diameter???????????????????

I have put a request a the section "WANTED" so if some one can help, PLEASE.

Regards,
Cobra289

[Edited on 13/4/09 by Cobra289]

Liam

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
That picture you posted is indeed a pair of LSD flanges. Notice the different lengths - that's because the LSD viscous coupling takes up some space and the diff gears are pushed over to one side. Normal non-LSD flanges are equal length like the push-in part of push-in shafts. If you put normal flanges, or push-in shafts, in an LSD, one will appear to go in all the way, but the spline wont have fully engaged, and one wont fit in as it will hit the pin in the middle of the diff mechanism.

So you need LSD flanges like your picture above. Are you sure this is an LSD? Because it's very unusual to find one with the flanges removed as they only fit an LSD. Why would they be removed? Have you had a look inside the diff to confirm it's a standard LSD?

Liam

Liam

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Steve

It can, but it needs the flanges from the LSD too, and therefore becomes a bolt-on in the process!

Cobra289

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Liam,
Your explanation is for 100% and is the problem that I am encountering.
The standard flanges, the left one hit the pin the right one don't full engage.

I put a couple of pictures so that the people can see the problem.
One you can see how the drive flange splines hit the pin and it is no fully on position.

Yes I have a LSD 3.62 without the flanges, I did contact with the guy that I take it over asking for the flanges, but don't want to help.

So I got two diff's one 7.5" 3.91 with rusty bearings and one 7" LSD without flanges.

If some one can help with the two flanges I would be very pleased.

Best regards,
Cobra289

[Edited on 14/4/09 by Cobra289]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.