Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: This weekends efforts - new scuttle made!
Cheffy

posted on 19/4/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
This weekends efforts - new scuttle made!

Having spent some time wondering whether to make my own scuttle or just buy one I decided to sort of compromise. I had the materials so decided to have a go at making one. If it came out half decent I'd go with that. Conversely, if it was a complete pile of poo I'd just bin it and buy a fibreglass one.

It's taken two full days at 8 hours+ each day but I think it's actually come out really good. Although to be honest a fair chunk of the time was spent bending and then unbending bits of metal to get the correct profile! Worth it in the end though I think - plus saved a few quid for a ready made scuttle.

Scuttle 1 small
Scuttle 1 small

Scuttle 4 small
Scuttle 4 small

Scuttle 12 small
Scuttle 12 small

Scuttle 21 small
Scuttle 21 small

Scuttle 25 small
Scuttle 25 small

Bit of trimming and fettling left to do but so far so good, then start on the dash!

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
That looks really good mate. Ace.

I do however have one tiny criticism......

Wrought iron chassis stands are a tad overkill.

Cheers
Paul G

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/09 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
like it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 20/4/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work - bet you wnet to bed a contented man on Sunday night

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job

What did you use to make it? I've got some sheets of thin ally lying around and want to make my own too.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Cheffy

posted on 20/4/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Paul G - you're not the first to comment on the elaborate chassis stands Base unit from an old chilled catering display unit!

JB - I used some 3.3mm ali for the bulkhead panel first. Shaped that to the profile I wanted to match up with the bonnet line from the nose cone using cardboard templates. Then I bent some 25mm x 3mm mild steel bar to match that profile, welded 9 tabs onto it and riveted the ali to the steel bar - picture 1 in the original post.

Then I ground the ali back by about 8mm and bent another strip of steel bar (15mm x 3mm) to match that and tag welded that to the tabs on the first piece. This will be the lip that the bonnet sits on - picture 2 in the original post and below. I also drilled the rivets back out and replaced them with M5 Rivnuts.

Scuttle 14 small
Scuttle 14 small

Next I re-profiled the rear hoop by making a hardboard template first and then just bending the tube to match the template little bit at a time using a pipe bender I borrowed off a plumber mate - picture 3 in the original post.

Then I made a template for the skin out of some old lino - below:-

Scuttle 16 small
Scuttle 16 small

And transfered this to some 1.6mm ali. Then it was just a question of measuring and paring away the excess and bending around the base of the scuttle using a couple of ratchett straps to help hold things in place - pictures 4&5 in the original post.

Finally, I intend to fold the skin over the lip at the front (bonnet side) of the scuttle to meet the bonnet support lip. (If that makes sense!) Once the bonnet support lip has a strip of rubber over it and with the bonnet in place I'm hoping I can get the bend tidy enough to look nice and smooth. Something like the quality CAD picture below The white line is where the ali skin will fold over and then the black bit is obviously where the rubber seal will sit.

Scuttle sketch
Scuttle sketch

Hope that makes sense and is of some use!

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey! Now that's what I call a helpful answer

Cheers Mart.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Cheffy

posted on 20/4/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Blimey! Now that's what I call a helpful answer

Cheers Mart.

JB

My pleasure fella.

As a chef with no engineering skills whatsoever I take an awful lot out of this site and it's nice to be able to put something back!

(If that doesn't sound too nauseous!)

Mart.

RK

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job. You should be chuffed about that. I thought of it and bought one - two actually, the first had problems.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.