Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick! buy up some bangers
vinny1275

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Quick! buy up some bangers

so the scrappage idea has made its way into the budget, does anyone else see a market in selling bangers to people who have a car that's noy 9 years old, but who want the 2K discount off a new one.....?

DaveFJ

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
there goes the second hand car market! ridiculous idea!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

MikeR

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
and the scrap car market - ask the germans
vinny1275

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Shurely the govt won't just scrap all those cars, they'll have them recycled properly? Hanf on, this is *our* govt I'm talking about, isn't it...

Have I missed something, or are there really thousands of people out there who're thinking, I really wish I had a new car instead of this really old one, but I'm £2000 short. The people who drive bangers because that's what they can affford (or all they want to pay) aren't going to be in a position (or want to) fork out for a new car....

And that's before we even get into the realms of total-life CO2 emissions....

More froth and headline-grabbing...

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Shurely the govt won't just scrap all those cars, they'll have them recycled properly? Hanf on, this is *our* govt I'm talking about, isn't it...

Have I missed something, or are there really thousands of people out there who're thinking, I really wish I had a new car instead of this really old one, but I'm £2000 short. The people who drive bangers because that's what they can affford (or all they want to pay) aren't going to be in a position (or want to) fork out for a new car....

I drive a 20 year old car (and it ain't a banger) cos its great you know where they can stick their modern cars sideways

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
But notice that its only if you buy a BRITISH BUILT car to replace the one you've got. I was thinking of dumping my 180K/10yo honda and getting a cheap VW fox (6500 new), but not anything more expensive

Hugh

Hey, I've just realsised that includes caterham, westfield, aston martin....

[Edited on 22/4/09 by hughpinder]

smart51

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
a car that's noy 9 years old,

Are you northern irish using words like 'noy'?

mongrelwestie

posted on 22/4/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
it wont affect second hand prices as not everyone who has a banger will scrap it to buy a new car as the cheapest new car on the market is around 6k so you still need to find 4k! it will just help a few who have the money to spend it. im in sales and i think it will offer the car industry only good things
vinny1275

posted on 22/4/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
a car that's noy 9 years old,

Are you northern irish using words like 'noy'?

y's next to t on the keyboard.....

Agriv8

Not good you have to own the car for a year before you can get your 2k back.

Which is a bit of a bugger as I was holding back selling the old 10 year old passat for this very reason.

best stick it on ebay

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 22/4/09 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

nick205

quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
But notice that its only if you buy a BRITISH BUILT car to replace the one you've got.

Fantastic - now I can get that R500 I've had my eye on for a while. I'm sure the Caterham finance people will lend me the rest when I plonk my £2k deposit on the table.............!

coozer

posted on 22/4/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see it having much of an effect as its for cars older than 10 years and open till March 2010.

IMO people who buy brand new cars don't have them that old anyway...

So if a posh bloke asks if you'll take £500 for that banger you know what he wants it for!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 22/4/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mongrelwestie
it wont affect second hand prices as not everyone who has a banger will scrap it to buy a new car as the cheapest new car on the market is around 6k so you still need to find 4k! it will just help a few who have the money to spend it. im in sales and i think it will offer the car industry only good things

Why buy a 4k second hand car when you can buy a banger for a couple of hundred and get a new one for the same price?

It will offer the "new" car industry great things, but don't pretend it won't drive down the prices of second hand cars a few years old, and in the process drive a lot of the smaller independent second hand car dealers out of business. Win-win for the big manufacturers I'd have said.

If they are only providing the scrappage money when buying a uk manufactured car it's almost certainly illegal under EU law as it's subsidy that works against free trade. Everyone knows it's only the French that get away with that game.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mongrelwestie

posted on 22/4/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
it wont be happening a lot as if you have an old banger mondeo as you have a family the nearest new equivilent is about 10k its not likely to be effecting many people, i think i have spoken to about 3 people who it might benifit over the last few months.
britishtrident

posted on 22/4/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
But notice that its only if you buy a BRITISH BUILT car to replace the one you've got. I was thinking of dumping my 180K/10yo honda and getting a cheap VW fox (6500 new), but not anything more expensive

Hugh

British built --- good one --- no such thing has existed for the last 35 years.

[Edited on 22/4/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 22/4/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Prediction Caterham will raise thier prices by the value of the scrappage allowance

The whole idea is just wrong

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

stevebubs

posted on 22/4/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
nothing about "british-built" in the budget statement, but you *do* have to prove you've owned the car for at least months already..

quote:

4.16 To give a boost to the car industry during the current downturn, the Government
announces the introduction of a vehicle scrappage scheme. A discount of £2,000 will be
offered to consumers buying a new vehicle to replace a vehicle more than ten years old which
they have owned for more than twelve months. The Government will set aside £300 million for
this scheme with funding matched by manufacturers participating in the scheme. The
Government will work with industry to introduce the scheme next month. The scheme will
end by the start of March 2010, or when funding for the scheme has been used if earlier.

tomprescott

posted on 22/4/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Britishtrident, car prices will get bumped up 2k, electric car prices will get pumped up 5k

I prefer em old, cars that is.....

iiyama

posted on 22/4/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Another 300 million that they are going to spend that they dont have. Christ am I glad I havent got kids 'cause the poor sods are going to have to work 15 hour shifts 7 days a week untill they are 80 to pay for what the shower of t**ts in Westminster are spending...............

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

A1

posted on 22/4/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
i believe you have to have owned the vehicle for 12 months...

its such a rediculous scheme- think of the cars that are now 10 years old... like impreza 22b, evo 6s etc....

Wheels244

posted on 22/4/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Gimmick = Won't work

Just like the electric car b*****s

clairetoo

posted on 22/4/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
My current tin top is the most expensive daily driver I have owned - £600 3 and a bit years ago
I drive an old car so I have some spare money for a fun car - this wont benefit me in any way at all since there is no way I will ever own a car made after about 1993.............

Using my own theory of bangernomics , if I was to find that £4000 to buy a new car , it would have to last me at least twenty years !

[Edited on 22/4/09 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 22/4/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about it, as it won't affect bugger all. Firstly, you need to own the car for 12 years. Even if you buy it now, the scheme runs out in MARCH next year, which is 11 months away. If you have a car more than 9 years old, you are not likely to want to buy a brand new one. And finally, manufacturers DO NOT have to sign up to this scheme! They have to fund half of the £2000, and if they sign up they have to do so for their whole range. So Fiat, for example, would have to discount all their little cars, including the hitherto list-price-only 500. I don't see it making much difference to anything.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Schrodinger

posted on 25/4/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been reading an article in the paper about this and the first £1k comes from the government (which they will get back in the VAT and the other £1k from the motor companies, which the article suggests have already been covered by increased prices in the last monthor so.

Keith
Aviemore

coozer

posted on 25/4/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
No need to worry, white van man will snap up all the slots for his new load lugger.

Nissan were on the north east news the other night, he said they couldn't the £1000.

On last nights news they are offering there own scrappage scheme. They will take any car 8 years and older in as a £2000 deposit on a Sunderland built new car.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.