Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R carbs - adjusting
philhoward

posted on 24/4/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R carbs - adjusting

How do you adjust the fuel mixture on the ZX9R carbs. I need to make it slightly richer at the top end.
I have been told that there is a clip on the top of the needle which can be moved up and down. Which part of the carb do you have to strip down to get to it?

mackei23b

posted on 24/4/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I've ameded my first post after a bit of brainfade...........

Yes, needles are for mid range, main jet for top end

The stock needles are not ajustable. It's the dynojet needles that have the clips.

That said you can use washers to raise the stock needles. To get to the needles you need to remove the round black plasic caps on the carbs, then you'll need to remove the spring and diaphramthen you'll see the needle. Theres a good parts diagram on kawasaki.com.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 24/4/09 by mackei23b]

coozer

posted on 24/4/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
To richen up the top end (WOT) you need to enlarge the main jet. Go up 1/2 mm at a time if its close.

Mixture screws adjust the tick over and just off, while the needle position adjusts the mid range.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

andrewcutchey

posted on 24/4/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Best to go up only 0.05 of a millimetre at a time!
jacko

posted on 24/4/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi - You say you need to richen the carbs at top end - on the ZX 9 R carbs there is a air hole in line with the main needle looking from the air filter side. Have u blocked this off? (This is what Bogg Bros do) to stop the carbs leaning off at high revs.

T adjust the needles you remove the top of the carbs and carefully remove the diaphragm and slide then you can get to the needle. Depending on which ZX carbs you have some have clips to lift the needles up and down and some u put thin washers under the needles. Jacko ps What engine are you using? If you do a search under my name and look in my photo archives u will find more info.
The best way to get it rght is to have them set up on a rolling road then you know there set right
this is what i did

[Edited on 24/4/09 by jacko]

[Edited on 24/4/09 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.