Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chequer Plate for trailer
The Great Fandango

posted on 26/4/09 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Chequer Plate for trailer

Yesterday I stuck my foot all the way through my trailer's old wooden floor (and nearly broke my ankle).

I felt this was a sufficient enough message from the old girl to warrant an upgrade.

I've ripped all the wooden centre floor area out and am now on the look-out for a metal equivalent.

I was slightly shocked by the price of aluminium chequer plate.

Can anyone please recommend:

(i) What type of metal (I presumed aluminium would really be the only option for an exposed floor kept outisde?)

(ii) What type of sheet? Thickness? plain or chequer plate? (it's for the centre area of the trailer and will not be taking the car's weight)

(iii) Best place to buy the stuff from (cut to order).

She's in a sorry old state and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to finish this project before my next track day.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Kyle

[Edited on 26/4/09 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

Ninehigh

posted on 26/4/09 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
When you say centre area do you mean the strip down the middle that'd be inbetween the wheels, or would it have to take the car's weight as you're rolling it on?

MakeEverything

posted on 26/4/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
~If its for the centre area where the only weight will be ramps, tools, or tow equipment to get the car onto the trailer, then id go and byu some 1/2" marine ply or similar. I would also look at replacing the tracks where the car wheels go, for Steel expanded mesh.

Just a thought, but its difficult to say without a photo.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

handyandy

posted on 26/4/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Kyle,
not sure if this is any use to you but as my donor was stripped yesterday i have the metal boot cover from a sierra estate ( i kept it as its more or less flat & thought it might turn into a shelf somewhere ), my thoughts are if it was cut into two pieces then subject to the length of the gap you need to replace it could be welded into place, be strong enough etc, happy to cut to your dimension & come down & weld into place, in return for a passenger ride at a track day ??
cheers
andy

dinosaurjuice

posted on 26/4/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
marine plywood, preferably birch, with a descent sealer will last for years. ~17mm

easy to screw stuff down to if transporting other things too

Bigheppy

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Old central heating radiator. I used one to make the footwells on my car due to the pressed shape they are very strong. Best of all I got mine for free.

[Edited on 26/4/09 by Bigheppy]

The Great Fandango

posted on 26/4/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys... looks like marine ply it is then.

As for a photo... I'm simply ashamed of the trailers present condition so I won't be posting a photo! lol

Andy, I'm not sure the boot cover will be long enough. The total area needing covering is approximately 3" by 10". In any case, you've already secured your passenger experience!

Some peeps did ask... the strips each side of the old wooden area are metal and in good condition - it's literaly just the non-load bearing centre area I'm replacing.

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.