Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 is expanding
omega0684

posted on 30/4/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
F1 is expanding

i've heard the prodrive are now thinking of entering too,

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_5259076,00.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 30/4/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting
quote:

an engine not subject to a rev limit.

JoelP

posted on 30/4/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
those are very persuasive reasons to stay within the budget.

Banning refuelling and tyre warmers? The cars will need very big fuel tanks!

rb968

posted on 30/4/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I went to a talk last night by Gary Savage (Technical Director of Brawn GP) who was back home in Barrow. He mentioned 13 teams instead of 10 next year although he didn;t hint at who.
OT it was a fascinating insight into what goes into building one of those machines and upgrading it through a season. What they had to do just to fit the Mercedes instead of Honda engine into the chassis in the time they had alone was amazing.

Rich

StevieB

posted on 30/4/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
One more team coming into the fray will be US GP, an all american team that will likely feature Scott Speed and Danica Rice in the drivers seats.

Prodrive have been looking for something to get their teeth into since Subaru chucked in the towel on WRC, and given their success with Aston at Le Mans (same guy owns AM and Prodrive), they might be another bunch of newbies to watch

I can only dream that the third new entry will be the re-emergence of Lotus, Jim Clarke colours and all

[Edited on 30/4/09 by StevieB]

gingerprince

posted on 30/4/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Lola is the other, isn't it?
speedyxjs

posted on 1/5/09 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
I really dont like the fact that it is optional and the ban on refueling. Other than that it looks pretty good

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scudderfish

posted on 1/5/09 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've always thought refuelling detracted from the sport. Without it, you'll have drivers having to cope with a car with major dynamic changes over the course of the race, and the position on track will be their position in the race with none of the "X is ahead of Y, but only 10 seconds and hasn't stopped so Y is really ahead by 15 seconds" nonsence.
vinny1275

posted on 1/5/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I've always thought refuelling detracted from the sport. Without it, you'll have drivers having to cope with a car with major dynamic changes over the course of the race, and the position on track will be their position in the race with none of the "X is ahead of Y, but only 10 seconds and hasn't stopped so Y is really ahead by 15 seconds" nonsence.

Except they'll still be allowed to change tyres... One of the things I like about F1 is trying to guess at strategies (I'm actually quite disappointed that they publish the qualifying weights this year)

The other rule they've changed is that the minimum weight of the car is going up - if the car also has to go a whole race without refuelling, they're going to be fat. With a capital FAT. This will increase the momentum of the cars by a lot, potentially making accidents much more serious....

aerosam

posted on 1/5/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
.... not to mention the increasd fire risk of carrying fuel for the whole race.

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

andyd

posted on 1/5/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
It's not that long ago that they raced with enough fuel to last the race... ok damn it, it's 16 years ago!

However, they weren't all bursting into flames so the increase in potential fire hazard isn't a valid argument against it. In fact the act of refuelling has caused more hazards in recent years.

I accept for Nikki Lauda and Gerhard Berger (and probably a few others) the memories might be slighty different but these days the fuel tanks are designed to withstand huge impacts without incident.

I for one welcome it and the tyre warmer ban too. About time we saw what these youngster drivers can really do without the aid of a car that drives itself... almost

Put 'em in a '90s car with no driver aids whatsoever and see how many blisters they get from using a gearstick!

[Edited on 1/5/2009 by andyd]

Andy

iank

posted on 1/5/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd
Put 'em in a '90s car with no driver aids whatsoever and see how many blisters they get from using a gearstick!

Put them in early 60's cars (Lotus 33 et.al) pretty cars with no ugly wings that took real talent to drive.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.