Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: spring 'poundage'
blakep82

posted on 1/5/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
spring 'poundage'

don't even know if poundage is a word... anyway, is the number normally stamped into the spring anywhere?

according to the pickup truck website they use 900lbs springs on the front (seems a lot!), and 225lbs on the back

I've never checked mine, but it never sits flat on the ground either, it always sits at a funny angle, especially when jacked up.

just hoping theres an easy way to check them

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

frodo_monkey

posted on 1/5/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Whip the springs off - if you're lucky it will be written on the top/bottm or carved it. If not then you'll need a spring dyno (Procomp on here has one).

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

blakep82

posted on 1/5/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
hopefully they're written on there then i thought they would always be stamped on or something.
the guy i got them from told me they were all 300lbs, but i'm not convinced

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mr henderson

posted on 1/5/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need a spring dyno, all you need is a bathroom scales and some safe way of compressing the spring on it, and a way of measuring it while you are doing that.

Measure the free length, then compress it by an inch if possible, or whatever you can, measure it in the compressed length.

If it was compressed 1/2 inch, and the scale reas 200lbs, then that would be a 400lb spring

John

I SAID A SAFE WAY OF COMPRESSING AND MEASURING IT!

matt_claydon

posted on 1/5/09 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Pillar drill to compress and bathroom scales to measure force works well. Stick a 10mm bit or some round bar in the chuck too to stop the spring flying out if it slips
philw

posted on 1/5/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
You don't need a spring dyno, all you need is a bathroom scales and some safe way of compressing the spring on it,

John

A fat lardy girlfriend should do it

Must try harder

MikeCapon

posted on 1/5/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you can hang on a bit I've a way of calculating a spring's rate by measuring it. Be tomorrow though?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 1/5/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.