Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dyno log from Stoneleigh, needs explaining
vindicator

posted on 5/5/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
dyno log from Stoneleigh, needs explaining

After getting my car off the stand, just had time to get to the dyno lads before they packed up.

In the car is a 1985, pinto 2lt EFI. It suits me as I am not really a boy racer, but decided to check things out.

Please could someone explain to me (i'm not a mechanic, electrically minded or engineer) what this all means.

The dyno lads did not have the time to explain things from the results but I think I am in a bad way as I was informed it badly needs a service (it has had new sparking plugs last year, air filter, oil changed as well), a sugestion was sticking injectors. How can this be explained from the chart!!!!what should it look like....

Any help, besides getting a new engine or new car would be appreciated....

dynolog
dynolog

TimR

[Edited on 5-5-2009 by vindicator]

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

snapper

posted on 5/5/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Erm.... link not working and if i cut and paste it comes up as "file not found"

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/5/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
For those that cant see the picture.

Blast beaten to it by original poster.

dynolog
dynolog

[Edited on 5/5/09 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Daimo_45

posted on 5/5/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
That your pinto has less BHP than a 0.9 litre Smart Car engine but weighs 4 times as much.
snapper

posted on 5/5/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh ... I see it now.
I would set up the rocker gaps, check the timing and set up everything you can then a session on a rolling road should get back the missing horses.
A problem with an injector could well loose you a fair few bhp, why not see if anyone has converted an injection engine to carbs and has the injectors spare, you could then swap out one injector at a time and possibly isolate the dodgy one.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Danozeman

posted on 5/5/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I would think you should have well over 65bhp tbh.

I would get your fueling and ignition checked out by a local tuner. Is your engine tappey? Valve clearances ok?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

gordon h

posted on 5/5/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
was i the only happy 1 with 137 from zx9c

bec is best but going to try sabb 2.3 turbo mk

gazza285

posted on 5/5/09 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Three runs, the top lines are the torque (scale on the right), the bottom ones the power(scale on the left). Something wrong there, you should have more than that.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ell_bkr

posted on 5/5/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
If the oil was changed last year and its been sat over the winter then it would be worth refreshing that aswell.......first thing i did on getting my new car home was change the oil/filter and i couldnt belive how much better it pulled/ran! Dont think it had been done since the previous summer.
Rob Lane

posted on 5/5/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
OK, well loking at the consistency of the graphs in Shoot 4 mode i would suggest cam timing or clearances, as the graphs are pretty equal in results.

How is the air intake? Could be strangled?

There is a slight difference in pickup at 1800 revs with torque increasing and bhp but then settles on a steady state climb.

I would have expected about 85-100bhp at wheels dependent on state of tune.

Did they just interpolate roller rpms or did they use all functions? Ignition, Co, etc?

Was that the only print out?

I should point out that if used properly all parameters are measured and capable of being printed, albeit on a seperate sheet.
You've only got temps there:- inlet temp (IT)air temp(AT) , barometric pressure (BP)

Rob Lane

[Edited on 5/5/09 by Rob Lane]

iank

posted on 5/5/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Three runs, the top lines are the torque (scale on the right), the bottom ones the power(scale on the left). Something wrong there, you should have more than that.

Roughly double that.
What ECU are you using? all the original sensors in place (and known to be working)?

Pull out the spark plugs one at a time and check the colours, they should all be a uniform tan colour.
See colour chart here

If one or two are 'wrong' then check out the injector on that cylinder, if they're all wrong then your ecu can't cope with your inlet/exhaust or a sensor isn't working.

Finally the ECU could be in limp home mode due to an out of spec sensor.

All the setting tappets stuff needs doing as well, not hard - it's all in haynes.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 5/5/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Roughly double that.
What ECU are you using? all the original sensors in place (and known to be working)?

Would a mid 80's engine have an ecu?

blakep82

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Roughly double that.

if its injection, then it has to

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

DarrenW

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Roughly double that.

if its injection, then it has to

Is that true? Im pretty sure my golf didnt - K jetronic.

Ref Pinto, i would have thought a good std 2.0 injection should be getting 110 - 120 bhp at flywheel, probs showing 90 - 100 at wheels. Its deinitely worth going back to basics and checking all settings. Does it run OK? If it runs well and plugs are uniform colour im more inclined to suggest that the RR hasnt done you any favours and was probs not set up correctly. On the assumption that your car is a tad heavier than most, id gusee you should be seeing 0-60 times around 7 seconds or so, how does that stack up?

Im a little surprised to see the power dropping off so sharply at higher revs, is the camshaft OK? As said already either badly worn or tappets need adjusting (you may not be getting max lift on the valves). My cars head was of an injection sierra and the cam was extremely worn.

omega0684

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
my only comment will be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ss1turbo

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
The torque curve looks a little lumpy, but not sure if its the right shape. Bit too flat to me??

Could well be an air restriction as torque is a measure of BMEP - and bhp is only a rev-based version of it.

Long live RWD...

vindicator

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the reply's most were helpful. The car to me seemed ok, only a bit of backfiring now and again when taking the big right foot off the peddle. It did a whole days drive round the peak district and snake's pass without any trouble a few weeks ago. (omega0684 missed out on that one!!)

Usually it does 70 on the motorway ok, but have to push it over 70 if I am on a private road (honestly!!!). It is out once or twice a week doing 60 miles per day to work and back.

Some collegues say that they wished they had the same power as me....but I can't understand the print out.

Yes, the 2lt pinto should do 115BHP when new, but this print out is in HP as other things are attached to the engine now and will show lower figures.

The tappets are ok and don't rattle, the air supply is pretty straight with a big cone filter on it. The only thing is oil seals which I want to do next as when I first start it from cold there is a bit of blue smoke other than that it is very clean.

I have bought some new plug leads from the show and will put these on as the old ones have never been changed by me and are looking quite old.

I have some spare time tomorrow night and will check the timing and plugs and let you know what I find...

regards..

TimR

ss1turbo

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Only real thing I can think of is a severe lack of valve lift.

Ford bhp figures were always a little on the "optomistic" side - no carburettored 1600CVH ever made 96bhp from the factory! Even so, that's a lot of horses that have escaped...

I'd suggest trying to measure the valve lift and compare it with stock..

Long live RWD...

Rob Allison

posted on 6/5/09 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
The plot aint worth anything without the AFR plot on. So you can see the fueling.
I guess they didn't fit the lambda probe for the runs ?

[Edited on 6/5/09 by Rob Allison]

iank

posted on 6/5/09 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
The "problem" with light cars is 60bhp will feel the same as 120bhp in a tin-top, so as long as it's smooth you won't feel it's a problem if not used to the face wobbling acceleration they can give.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

procomp

posted on 6/5/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just out of interest which company was it with the dyno.

Cheers Matt

vindicator

posted on 6/5/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
As I said previously, the show had closed (4.30pm) and we got our cars off the stand and raced over there. The lads from M-tech could have said no as they wanted to leave as well. It was the only graph I was given and no other sensor was connected.

The company was M-tech automotive (that is the name on the printed graph)....they have a web site based in the south (Wiltshire). Just had another look at their web site and found the pics of the staff (owners!!). Thank you Mathew!!!

I think it was brilliant of them to show up and give us some food for thought.

Not advertising for them, but they do an all round system check on all cars.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/5/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vindicator
Yes, the 2lt pinto should do 115BHP when new, but this print out is in HP as other things are attached to the engine now and will show lower figures.

I think you may be getting confused between the old SAE gross and net power measurements, where the gross figure measures power with no ancillaries. BHP just shows that HP has been measured using a brake, it doesn't differentiate between a chassis or engine dyno or whether ancillaries were fitted.

Since your car was measured on a rolling road, the transmission losses mean less power is available at the wheels. This is partially compensated for by attempting to measure transmission loss via the coast down. However, this is very rough estimate at best and can be considerably affected by tyre pressures and health of gearbox and final drive, since the torque through these components is reversed (and far lower) during coast down.

Still, the figures shown on the graph do suggest the engine is not especially healthy. Are you running with a non-original fuel pump or pressure regulator? Have you ever fiddled with the air flow meter?

If no to the above I'd suggest pulling the plugs and seeing if they all look the same. Then move onto the following:
1) Ignition timing.
2) Cam timing (tooth out?)
3) Cam wear (common problem on Pinto)
4) Check for restriction in either inlet or exhaust (e.g. throttle not opening fully, collapsed baffle in exhaust or unsuitable silencer)
5) Cylinder compressions.

It also sounds like a thorough service including a refresh of ignition components would be a good idea.

vindicator

posted on 6/5/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info Mike, will try and get home early tonight and take the spark plugs out and check them out. May even publish the pics....

TimR

ps. Have also a new set of ignition leads to fit. The fuel I have not touched and still using the same pump that came with the engine. Have put a filter between the tank and the pump.....

[Edited on 6-5-2009 by vindicator]

vindicator

posted on 6/5/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well here goes.....

Started to take off the leads from the dizzy cap and found only one side was screwed in the other side was loose....

Changed the leads and found a slight cut on the outer covering.
leads
leads

Took the plugs out and checked the gaps and they were not to bad but they do look a mess. A few mins with a wire brush and they came back to new again.

plugs
plugs

Decided to take a quick trip round town and the drive fell very light and instant response from the engine. Even starting from hot the engine starts first click, before it took a few turns of the engine to start.

So I think I have got back a few more horses.....next task shortly is the valve seals ......

thanks for your help .....

Regards

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.