Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Body plug getting closer...
Alan B

posted on 1/3/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Body plug getting closer...

More pics at..

click here

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinbastd

posted on 1/3/04 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Clever bugger.

Wonderful work Alan,if I wore a hat I'd take it off to you sir.

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Alan B

posted on 1/3/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ian...but there's very little clever about it...just LOTS of tedious fill, rub, fill, rub, fill, rub,....etc....

Glad it's nearly over...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 1/3/04 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Side view.....from a few weeks ago

sgraber

posted on 2/3/04 at 04:05 AM Reply With Quote
Alan! That is looking great! You are so close, so close...

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

pbura

posted on 2/3/04 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
Should be a good year for Meerkats!

Pete

Pete

timf

posted on 2/3/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
looks good alan

any chance of a view with the rear lights in position to get the feel of the rear

Alan B

posted on 2/3/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
For Tim...

Rear lights faked in.....also picture the lower recesses with mesh plus a number plate on too...

Rear with lights
Rear with lights

Alan B

posted on 2/3/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all...the positive feedback helps a lot more than you could ever imagine...
sgraber

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
Well, you ARE doing an amazing job IMHO. You deserve all the praise you are getting. One of the benefits of this place is nice people who appreciate what you are doing and understand your pain. hehehe. Actually, the typical Locoster has NO IDEA of the pain you go through building a fullbodied one-off from scratch. :-) (Of course neither do I since I am in denial)

Graber

Steve Graber

TheGecko

posted on 3/3/04 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Actually, the typical Locoster has NO IDEA of the pain you go through building a fullbodied one-off from scratch. :-) (Of course neither do I since I am in denial)

Alan,

I'll echo everyones compliments about the quality of your work. It's both inspirational and educational to metaphorically 'peer over your shoulder' as you work your way through the bodywork process (for the second time no less!).

Unlike Steve, I'm not in denial having abandoned my full bodywork plans at the 1:6 model stage I've spent a lot of time since then working out ways to make the bodywork simpler. The latest tweak looks good on paper and simplifies/eliminates what was looking to one of the most difficult parts of the new bodywork. I need to modify the model first to see if it still looks good but if it does I'll post a sketch and image here for comment.

Alan, keep up the good work - if you give up then there's no hope for me at all

Dominic

David Jenkins

posted on 3/3/04 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Alan,

I remember a while ago when you tentatively asked everyone for their opinions - and people were polite but told you they didn't like it!

Now I think that you've got that back end just right - that cut out bit and the sharp top edge makes a huge difference.

rgds,

David

pbura

posted on 3/3/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Actually, the typical Locoster has NO IDEA of the pain you go through building a fullbodied one-off from scratch. :-) (Of course neither do I since I am in denial)

Well, I don't know about THAT! The lemmings are not exactly streaming off the cliff. Alan shows that it can be done, though with some pain. I hope he never revises his website to take away the ambience of a long, lonesome pilgrimage. He's moving along very smartly now, however, and the car is gorgeous.

Steve, I get the impression that you turn things over in your mind for quite a while, and then BOOM, you do it! You're a very fast physical worker, and stuff appears overnight, like mushrooms. Betcha that once you figure out exactly how you want to build the buck, you'll be done with it in a couple of weeks. It's got to be driving you nuts, having a (very nice) car that's about 100% mechanically that you can't drive!

Dominic presents a very nice alternative for the builder who is satisfied with minimalist Seven-style bodywork in a middie. Some months ago, I was looking at a picture of a Sylva Mojo chassis and thought, "You know, this thing could be panelled like a Locost", and here's Dominic doing just that.

Thanks, guys, for all the vicarious thrills.

Pete

Alan B

posted on 3/3/04 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, I agree with Pete, I think your bodywork will happen fairly quickly after seeing the speed you work.

To everyone....again thanks..

The biggest tip I could provide for one-off bodywork (other than don't do it...which isn't an option for some of us..)....is just do it once......don't make my mistake of having a near enough idea and then starting....be VERY sure what you are trying to acheive....make a model either real or virtual....have a good idea of many cross sections through it...then go for it..

sgraber

posted on 3/3/04 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh, umm. I don't know about the speed thing. But thanks.. thanks!!

My latest motto is, "Do a half-assed job, and don't do it again." Life handed me a box of Limes and I drank all the tequila, so I really don't care and even if I did I can't tell the difference! hehehe

Ok, just kidding. I really do agonize about a lot of things before I just say F-it and do it.

I have a fear of the unknown and I'm not afraid of having that fear. ... ... (head scratch...)

<rambling post mode 'off'>

It's the paint fumes - really.

Steve Graber

rontyler

posted on 3/3/04 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

Very VERY nice!

Regards, Ron Tyler

"Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man."

Spyderman

posted on 4/3/04 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

It looks Bloody Awful!

Just kidding!
It is looking great!
The rear and sides are so near finished now that I see you are changing the front again!

Can I make a small comment?
Well I'm going to anyway!
The vent recess on the side looks to be a little uneven in places. Maybe if you dust a dark coat over it you will see it clearer! Must be a nightmare to get right though!
That back section/engine cover is "cracking"!

Terry

Spyderman

ned

posted on 4/3/04 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

its looking good, though you appear to have forgotten the doors!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Alan B

posted on 4/3/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ron - Thanks..

Ned - I thought you were dealing with the doors????...

Terry - There are many blemishes and uneven areas that have come to light...ironically I hadn't noticed the one you mention....thanks for the eagle eyes.......still a lot of little fixes before molding, but it's getting close

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.