Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: caterham hayabusa diff
andrewmorpeth

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
caterham hayabusa diff

Ive got a caterham with a standard diff ie plug in driveshafts.Have fitted hayabusa engine and now need to change diff any help with ratios parts etc ,also bailey morris best for propshaft manufacture.Going for 2pce with no reverse.thanks andrew
Frosty

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming 13 inch wheels a 3.38 diff ratio will give you about 120mph in 6th. This is Sierra flavour though.

I'm not sure how limited you are with the de-dion axle though. I don't know which ratios you have available you in that format.

TimC

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've no first hand experience but I know from another forum member who has done a lot of research that the 3.14 is the preferred ratio for a forced-induction Busa. Apparently its a bit long for a NA motor but ideal with the extra grunt.

progers

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to go on track you will need to get a 3.14 ratio diff, otherwise you will be bouncing off the rev limiter on the straights. These are not very common ratio's and will have a price premium. Seeing that you are a Caterham owner and have put a Hayabusa in the car, that probably is not such an issue

Bailey Morris are very good for props.

I would have a chat with Phil at Road and race transmissions in Kent. They are very experienced with Caterhams and maybe able to offer you something alternative to the standard Sierra diff setup that would be suitable for the task.

- Paul

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 22/5/09 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I have repeatedly been told that a busa needs LSD. The favoured one by Westfield is the freelander diff with quaife ATB unit.
As you have a sierra casing, you can get the internals replaced with a 3.14 CWP from gearboxman.com and he will either fit an ATB or will upgrade the fluid if it is already sierra LSD.
Plated type lsd like Titan or ZF, seems the preferred option for Caterham but is expensive. Jason Fletcher on Blatchat is the man to talk to, he is selling his most beautiful Busa Caterham which he built.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 22/5/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
If it were me, I'd recommend that which I have - a Freeloader 3.2, Quaife ATB, Bailey 2-piece (TRT rear). Job done.

Gear sets for the Busa are available to adjust things dramatically, as are 13" slicks in a variety of diameters, less dramatically.

TimC

posted on 22/5/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
How much power/torque will the ATB cope with then?

Jason Fletcher

posted on 22/5/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
definatly a 7" 3.14 with a plated LSD like a titan. Thats what I had in mine and it was perfect.

Jason

richard thomas

posted on 22/5/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried both an open and limited diff in mine....went sideways with both, didn't have any major traction issues with either. Open diff much lighter though...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.