Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycling
zilspeed

posted on 27/5/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cycling

I haven't cycled since I were a lad and pretty much haven't done any serious exercise since then either.
Early 40s now and thinking of my own mortality, I've got my hands on a bike and have been enjoying getting out there and doing a bit.

Couple of thoughts occurred to me.

I'm a total weakling !
My legs ache after even a short ride. Where I live, there is a relatively safe route which I can do which avoids major roads, so I'm doing that. It's only 4 miles, but see above, I'm building up to more miles.

I think in that short period since I started cycling, I might have become a better and more considerate car driver. I find myself going round blind corners and anticipating there being a cyclist or other slow moving vehicle or pedestrian there and want to make sure I give them plenty of space. I wasn't this good before.

Anyway, there you go - that's my new hobby.
No pictures - you really don't want to see that...

hellbent345

posted on 27/5/09 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
haha i generally consider myself fairly fit, i can do the army general fitness test (read RUN! lol) in the passing time, and just about do the pushups, situps etc (im a bit weak!) but i do find cycling annoyingly difficult - apparently its something to do with the unnatural action, and the continuous strain on the quads particularly,
what bike do you have? when i was younger and a lot fatter my dad and i used to go out on a sunday, and it helped a lot when he gave me his racing bike to use, thin smooth tyres are a lot easier to pedal around!

Al

zilspeed

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hellbent345
haha i generally consider myself fairly fit, i can do the army general fitness test (read RUN! lol) in the passing time, and just about do the pushups, situps etc (im a bit weak!) but i do find cycling annoyingly difficult - apparently its something to do with the unnatural action, and the continuous strain on the quads particularly,
what bike do you have? when i was younger and a lot fatter my dad and i used to go out on a sunday, and it helped a lot when he gave me his racing bike to use, thin smooth tyres are a lot easier to pedal around!

Al

I'm no expert so obviously anything I say, take with a pinch of salt.
Not to worry though, that's what the internet's for.
So, on that basis and according to the internet, my bike - a Diamondback Lakeside is totally the wrong thing.

Apparently.

Not that I intend doing anything about it.
If it's a bit more like hard work, then I'm not sure that hard work is actually such a bad thing for me.

Cheers

JF

keith2lp

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cycling

Keep at it and it will get easier. I cycle twice a week (20-25 miles mid week and 30 -40 at the weekend) mostly of road and my legs still ache after a long ride but it is the only form of exercise that I enjoy.
If you can go with someone as it makes it much easier and even fun.
Make sure that you set our bike up to suit you (look on the web for info) as this will make a big difference.

Hope this helps.

hellbent345

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
ill second the going with someone, but everyone is lazy buggers these days! i have to wait for my sister to come home from the navy before anyone will do any exercise with me!
good on you for getting back into excercise now, i know my parents either can't or won't now ( 50 and 53) i suspect a little of can't and a lot of won't lol

82 Locost

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting into road cycling after a few years of MTBing. I'm regularly doing 100-120 mile per week with no major problems afterwards. It's just case of getting your body used to the effort.

Last weekend I did a club ride with the Lincoln Wheelers and it was so much more interesting than riding alone. Really boosted my interest levels.

Fred W B

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't cycled for years, but the best advice I was given when I started out was:

Get the cadence up
Concentrate on pedalling smoothly in circles, don't just push down, drop the heel at the start of the down stroke and pull it up after BDC to do this. You need clipin pedals or straps to do this

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

zilspeed

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the fortunate position oh having long term borrowed a bike from someone who knows way more than I do about such things.

Important bits I am told are.

Clip in pedals.
Don't go for too high a gear.
Have the seat at the correct height.

I'm sorted with all of these.

Anyway - that's another of my little circuits in.
Couple of minutes quicker than last night.
Recovery time a tiny bit shorter too

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
one piece of advice i would give is it doesn't easier, you just get faster!!! You have been warned!! You don't see top cyclists like hoy and armstrong getting off there bike thinking it was easy, they are just a lot faster than us!!!!

macspeedy

posted on 27/5/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had to cycle to work due to loosing my licence for 6 months was a round trip of 36 miles 4 days on 4 days off. Got me back into cycling as i was quite keen as a kid. I have now spent a lot on a cross country/ downhill mountain bike which i ride as often as possible uses different muscles and i ache but the more you do it the easier it gets.. jumping a bike between trees going 20 mph is great fun! but i am told "trees hurt" and "trees dont move" keep it up!!

roadrunner

posted on 27/5/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you are wearing a helmet. I've had two accidents in two years and the last one was a head on with a Picasso. My head went through his windscreen, AR****LE , apparently i would have been killed if not for my £15 Asda helmet.
But dont let me put you off. I have changed jobs now and i still try to get on the bike a couple of times a week even though it's twice the distance and three huge hills to deal with.

zilspeed

posted on 27/5/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Hope you are wearing a helmet. I've had two accidents in two years and the last one was a head on with a Picasso. My head went through his windscreen, AR****LE , apparently i would have been killed if not for my £15 Asda helmet.
But dont let me put you off. I have changed jobs now and i still try to get on the bike a couple of times a week even though it's twice the distance and three huge hills to deal with.

Words of advice heeded.
Helmet on.

Since my last post, I just nipped out again.
Crap on the telly, brain not in garage mode, let's go and find a quiet road.

Did just that.
Another even quieter 4 mile route which has virtually zero traffic on it as it's mostly abandoned B roads with rocks blocking them off and they are now rural footpaths.
I think 8 miles will do for today now.

Staple balls

posted on 27/5/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Hope you are wearing a helmet.

Absolutely this, I took a header about 9 years ago, through bad luck alone (chain slipped while I was putting my back into it)

Broke my head, damn near died, not had a proper sense of smell since, lots of crappy little side effects. All because I was only nipping to the shop and didn't think I needed a lid.

iank

posted on 27/5/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes helmet is important. Friend at work always wore one (most cyclists in Cambridge don't bother) turned out his missus worked in the brain injury unit of Addenbrooke's and he'd seen the results of not having one.

I did some cycling last summer* and the first week was horrible, slow, felt like death on the uphill drags and ached every night. After that I was fine and started getting faster and faster on the trip.

If you are cycling on road and have a mountain bike get some commuter tyres rather than the cheap nobblies it probably came with - makes a massive difference.

*until I worked out that the train ticket was more money than the diesel AND that regular bikes were banned on all the trains that got to the local station at a sane time of the morning

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

82 Locost

posted on 27/5/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just got in from a 10 mile time trial practice. Knackered now! Managed to average 20.4mph over 10 miles and then dragged my tired @rse home. I'm working up to average 23mph over 10 miles.
zilspeed

posted on 27/5/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 82 Locost
Just got in from a 10 mile time trial practice. Knackered now! Managed to average 20.4mph over 10 miles and then dragged my tired @rse home. I'm working up to average 23mph over 10 miles.

Well, I won't be doing that any time soon.
I certainly got up to that speed at times, but no way will I ever average that.
If I'm honest, I'm a bit scared of the speed when I get onto the biggest chain ring.

82 Locost

posted on 28/5/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by 82 Locost

Well, I won't be doing that any time soon.
I certainly got up to that speed at times, but no way will I ever average that.
If I'm honest, I'm a bit scared of the speed when I get onto the biggest chain ring.

You say that now, but you'll be addicted to speed, sweat and endorphines within a month.

DarrenW

posted on 28/5/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Zil. Have you managed to keep all of the weight off that you lost last year?

I should get out on my bike. Its a MTB with road tyres which makes it easier and ability to enjoy the old railway line routes. I find the hardest part is getting started. Once you can crack a few hills (as fitness improves) it gets a whole more enjoyable. Before i got married i had a 8 mile round trip route that i used to do, i tried to do it within a certain time. I found that did my fitness and weight a lot of good. It seems like a little but often on a nice enjoyable route is the way to go at first to get addicted to it.

Ive been walking home a few times lately, approx 3 miles. Start of walk is an uphill section. I find the outsides of both calves start to lock up, get cramped and hurt like hell - result is very painful legs. Its probs down to carrying too much weight though. Maybe i should do some stretches first as well but im a bugger for not stretching and warming up.

Marcus

posted on 28/5/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Good on you Zil.
I used to ride a lot as a kid. I treated myself to a nice MTB a few years ago, but it never got used.
Fortunately I screwed my car up changing the timing belt, and was forced to cycle to work, 5 miles each way really is worth doing. I've now bought a full suspension MTB and 3 road bikes, 1 shopper, 1 commuter and 1 nice ally / carbon framed beast!
I think you could say I'm addicted again!!
I'll be doing the London Brighton next month, not too far, but should be fun

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 28/5/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Well done Zil. Have you managed to keep all of the weight off that you lost last year?

Yeah, prettty much.
Actually, yes all of it plus a smidge more.

The issue now is to try to build a bit more muscle along with a tiny bit more fat lost.
People who haven't seen me in a bit generally notice it, but underneath I know there are still things to sort out - especially around the middle. Traditionally the hardest area to lose weight I'm told.
I don't want to be an ounce lighter than I am just now, just want to change the composition a bit.

Simon

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Bought a cheapish MTB with knobblies(Giant Boulder) back in Feb with same intention for same reasons - over 40, ex smoker, no exercise since school!

So, bought bike - now done about 60 miles (yes, in three months - it's not quite gone to plan), started swimming (fave sport since I was young) soon after and now doing about 7500 metres a week. Might soon start running - just shortish runs as I still hate it.

Looks like I'm going to have to start putting the effort into the cycling too

ATB

Simon

woodster

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a bike from halfords a few weeks ago mainly to cycle ride with the wife and kids must admit i'd forgotten how much fun it is ....... my chicken legs ache

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.