Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike carbs zetec over revving at gear change
ianjenn

posted on 30/5/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
bike carbs zetec over revving at gear change

Hi All,
I have a zetec with zx6r bike carbs. The zetec is as standard except a burton flywheel. I have had the engine rolling roaded and it does run great. The only snag I am finding is that when the engine is hot the engine will over rev when engaging the clutch to change gear. i.e say I am driving at about 2000rpm in any gear, if I take my foot off the accelerator and depress the clutch the engine speeds up to about 4000 revs temporarily before slowing down again. This only seems to happen at zero to 1/2 throttle. Am I right in thinking that I need to adjust the idle mixture (make leaner) or should I adjust the holes in the sliders to reduce the vacuum and slow them down abit. Any thoughts?
cheers
alex

Dusty

posted on 30/5/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think I would start with a stronger/extra throttle return spring on the bike carbs.
robbydee

posted on 30/5/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Deffinatly sounds throttle return spring, tight cable make sure it slides easily in the outer sheath...
ianjenn

posted on 30/5/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, but I don't think it is the return spring as the linkage moves really easily and closes with a sharp snap after releasing the pedal and also it only happens when the engine is hot say after about 5miles and it doesn't happen at 1/2 to full throttle.
rusty nuts

posted on 30/5/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Check the cable has clearance when the engine is hot. The heat may also be making the cable stick so try an extra spring to see if it cures your problem.

[Edited on 30/5/09 by rusty nuts]

spud69

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar with mine, if you look at the throttle wheel on the carb you can put another cable on the other side with a strong spring to pull the throttle back to the stop.

Worked a treat on mine..Gives a better more positive feel to the pedal aswell

ianjenn

posted on 30/5/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
well done chaps and thank you. You were spot on. I added another spring to the throttle return and it is working perfectly. I would have done some silly things to my carb without your input.
alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.