Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyres for unspirited driving
givemethebighammer

posted on 1/6/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres for unspirited driving

I have let my dad have the Tiger for the time being. He wants to use it for dry weather cruising through the mountains of North Wales. He wants me to find him a second set of wheels and tyres for the car (Currently fitted with 14" Yoko AO-48R's)

I'm looking for some 185x55x14 tyres that won't break the bank, but won't be a complete liability.

I've found a few, any opinons anyone:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=390028819033

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170337927981

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120426021403

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360158965331

Steve G

posted on 1/6/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
For unspirited driving - whats up with leaving the Yoko's on if its for dry weather? He's not likely to be wearing them out drivng gently but even if they do wear a little - its a lot cheaper than a complete set of wheels and tyres
givemethebighammer

posted on 1/6/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think he doesn't want to wear out my track day tyres, but in the same breath thinks the Yokos look a little 'bald' for road use. The cost of a set of second hand alloys won't come to more than £60 (not worried about condition) and to be honest if he's happier with a more conventional set of tyres, I'm not bothered about spending out on some reasonable ones if it makes him more comfortable with the car.
Steve G

posted on 1/6/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Gotcha - fair enough then. Well to be honest you might like to consider moving up to a 15" rim then due to the potential bigger selection of tyres. If you fancy using them yourself also then have you considered going somewhere inbetween the "cheap" tintop tyres and R888's?

How about a set of these??

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b580s99p7558

A lot of sprinters use them especially in the Westie Speed series (I thought they did anyway although looks like Toyo sponsor the series now) as they are list 1b (i think thats the right "list" - its a while since i did a sprint). They might wear out before perishing unlike the tyres you listed but are cheap enough still

Just an option you might like to consider. There seems to be a few mentions of them if you do a search on here

[Edited on 1/6/09 by Steve G]

dhutch

posted on 1/6/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
No really thoughts on tyres (only just learning) but you can pick up a set of 13*6 ford laser for £30 if you wait a week or so on ebay.

Daniel

givemethebighammer

posted on 1/6/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Now that looks like a plan, thanks for the link.

The change in diameter is small too

185x55x14 = 22.01"
195x50x15 = 22.68"

Thanks dhutch for the heads up, but 13's may be a little tight over my sierra xr4x4 calipers

Steve G

posted on 1/6/09 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
No problem at all - they are a good tyre for a lightweight seven type car and have a few recommendations by the looks of it.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=108903&page=&contribmessage=none

Just wouldnt want to see your car spinning off the road due to unsuitably hard tyres.

ashg

posted on 1/6/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
get a cheep set of 15's and some of these

click

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

givemethebighammer

posted on 1/6/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
That was my worry Steve - the tyres being too hard.

Just been off on ebay to source a suitable set of 15" rims. Looks like I should be able to get some fairly cheap. I reckon I can do the whole job for under £200, and like you say they might be OK for me to drive on too, maybe even on a track day.

Steve G

posted on 1/6/09 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I havent looked myself but would think a set of ET38 15" alloys would be easier to find anyway, as well as offering a better selection of available tyres such as the T1-Rs mentioned above which is another quality tyre. The Marangoni's are softer and so probably wear quicker than the T1-R's but should offer extra grip.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has driven them both - i have only used the older T1-s against the Marangoni's myself and found a decent improvement with the Marangonis. I know the T1-R is grippier than the T1-S too though

Chippy

posted on 1/6/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Shame your not closer, I have five fourteen inch Ford alloys, with vertually brand new 195 x 60 tyres, (done 800 miles). Have a look in my archive in the "For sale" bit, £100 ono. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

dave r

posted on 2/6/09 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G

the T1-R is grippier than the T1-S too though

i like the sound of that.... i was on t1s, and now just put 4 new t1r's on

Steve G

posted on 2/6/09 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
quote:

I'm sure your opinion on the difference will be most helpful then - once you have had a chance to test them. It takes a while for the release agent to be worn away and the tyres start giving full grip - can take 100 miles or so to get there.

bimbleuk

posted on 2/6/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I run semis for track and Falkens for commuting to work. I used to use the ZE512s but they were recently replaced by ZE912s. They have a soft side wall which is good for driving on our potted roads!

The ZE512s were actually a laugh on track too as you could easily and progressively slide the car around at modest speeds.

Other than that I wanted to run Kumho KU31s but couldn't get a fitment or I use Toyo CR1s on my tin tops and Toyo confirmed to me via email they were OK for a light kit car.

As above though go for 15" wheels for general driving as you get a better selection.

MikeRJ

posted on 2/6/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
quote:

Outright grip is not much different IME. The main difference is the T1-R has stiffer sidewalls since the T1-S attracted a lot of criticism for their super floppy sidewalls. The T1-R's are still quite soft compared to many tyres though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.