Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The Q question
Nash

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
The Q question

What are the implications of a Q plate? Does it devalue the car? Are there any real issues or is it all perception?

Regards........... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

eznfrank

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on what car. I doubt it makes a massive difference on a 7. In fact some prefer it as it "can" avoid emissions test at MOT time. Mine will be a Q and I'm certainly not bothered about it.

If it was for example a Cobra replica I'd be looking for age related I guess.

[Edited on 3/6/09 by eznfrank]

andyd

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
The perception devalues the car.

Seriously though... to those that are in the know, then probably doesn't matter to them. To those that are not in the know, probably makes no odds to them either.

To those that have a little bit of knowledge but not the right knowledge it will probably scare them off buying.

There might then be a group who "try it on" due to the perception of Q platers being "dodgy".

IMHO though if the car has gone through SVA or IVA then it must have at least been certified road worthy at the time so who cares on the reg plate?

That said, I want a current plate and not a Q plate on mine when I ever get around to starting it... maybe in the year 2030 when reg plates don't exist anymore.

[Edited on 3/6/2009 by andyd]

Andy

omega0684

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
i have a q - plate and i aint bothered. and as already mentioned you get out of emissions at MOT time.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oldtimer

posted on 3/6/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
My last build was age related plate and this build will be Q plated, makes no odds to me. As said some don't like the'implication' others like them as the plate is ageless. A Q plated Corsa - beware!
whitestu

posted on 3/6/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
With hindsight I wish I hadn't gone for an age related plate.
mongrelwestie

posted on 3/6/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
i have an age related plate witch is nice as i could always put a personal one on to hide the age but you cant do this on a Q plate
blakep82

posted on 3/6/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
all perception

I'm going for a Q plate, as far as i can tell, its the best way to go. thats just me though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 3/6/09 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
A Q plated Corsa - beware!

exactly. you'd wonder why a corsa is on a Q, but with all our cars, anyone thinking to buy knows its not a production car.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

smart51

posted on 3/6/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Q plate and it is visible smoke at MOT time. A real bonus. Some people pull their face a bit but it is mainly out of ignorance.

02GF74

posted on 3/6/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
.... but unfortunately too many are ignorant.

age realted means you can transfer a personal plate.

and I beieve the Q will devalue a car compared to an age related one.

not sure but there may be insurance implication as they ask (IIRC) if car is on a Q.

as mentioned, easier for MOT emissions but I heardthis was gonna be tightened up so the emissions are printed on the V5? dunno.

JUD

posted on 3/6/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I have a Q plate and it is visible smoke at MOT time. A real bonus.

Agreed.

A Q plate is easy to explain on a kit car, and anybody buying a kit should be aware of the manner in which parts are sourced. I don't think it really devalues the car - only in the eyes of those that have no idea about the market and industry, and would they be in the market for a car with no doors, windows, screen, roof, carpets, seat padding, stereo etc?

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Having a Q plate means that you won't be able to change the registration number to PEN1S or whatever else you may fancy.

(Incidentally, there is a car with PEN1S - it belongs to someone like Steve Parrish, I think! )

bob

posted on 3/6/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Happy with my Q plate re emision test at MOT,i think i would struggle with the bike carbs.actually i might ask at my next MOT if they can give me a reading just to be curious.

David, yes last i heard steve parrish owned that plate,he purchased it from a female mucky movie star from the 70's called Fiona Richmond,and please dont ask how i know this

martyn_16v

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mongrelwestie
i have an age related plate witch is nice as i could always put a personal one on to hide the age but you cant do this on a Q plate

Eh? But you don't need to 'hide the age' if you've got a Q plate, the Q plate tells you nothing about the age in the first place.

The best you can do with a private plate is spend a load of wodge on a plate that doesn't fit the normal format to hide how old it is, otherwise you're limited to a plate the same year or older than your original one.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.