Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: .doc files on Hotmail account
DarrenW

posted on 5/6/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
.doc files on Hotmail account

This week ive been sent some files as attachments to my hotmail account. One is a job opportunity, other is a contract so both fairly important. Problem is they wont open. A file download wnidow opens up but then just runs and runs but doesnt download anything. If i right click then try to save as an error message appears saying something like the URL is unknown. In properties it says it is a javascript file rather than a word .doc file that i would expect.

Does anyone know how i can open teh attachments? mpeg, jpegs etc open ok. Its just the .docs that seem to be a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Darren.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Are you 100% sure that they are genuine documents, and were you expecting them?

It may be that the system is correct and it's a malicious javascript file.

If you think that they are genuine, can you ask the sender to resend? If so, ask them to send the files in .RTF format (Rich Text Format), or as PDF files - they'll look much the same, but they can be opened by most versions of most editors.

[Edited on 5/6/09 by David Jenkins]

DarrenW

posted on 5/6/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Defo files i was expecting. I was hoping i just needed to change a setting to view them. Is the problem something to do with hotmail being a webbased package and file needing to be downloaded before i can save it?

MikeRJ

posted on 5/6/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
.doc files are prime carriers of macro viruses, do you have any anti-virus software running that could be blocking these files?
Keith Weiland

posted on 5/6/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using an email client to download your email or going to hotmail in your browser? If the latter, try setting up hotmail in an actual email client like Thunderbird.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.