Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Advise me on some software please
tomprescott

posted on 7/6/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Advise me on some software please

Hi Everyone - hope you've all had a good weekend,
I've got some video files stored on a harddrive that I want to convert so that they'll play on my ps3 - I think suitable formats are avi and mp4?

Anyway, I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a free video converter that does a decent job. Any help much appreciated.
Cheers, Tom

stevebubs

posted on 7/6/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Handbrake

nice and easy interface...

stevebubs

posted on 7/6/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
http://handbrake.fr/
tomprescott

posted on 7/6/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Steve, just downloading it now.
main82000

posted on 7/6/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
software

hi winavi will do a 700mb in about 20min depending on your comp been using it for years never let me down youll get it from bittorrents
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 7/6/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
PS3 plays mpg... usually the format as most video...

You dont need to convert it... just slam it on a USB flash stick and insert it into the USB. Or burn it to a CD.

Steve

main82000

posted on 7/6/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
another option

also have you tryed tversity you can stream all your videos pics music straight from your laptop/pc wireless

http://tversity.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/6/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
Hi Everyone - hope you've all had a good weekend,
I've got some video files stored on a harddrive that I want to convert so that they'll play on my ps3 - I think suitable formats are avi and mp4?

Anyway, I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a free video converter that does a decent job. Any help much appreciated.
Cheers, Tom

This list is all the video files YouTube will accept. Some video formats work best and are most compatible with certain computers, software or devices.

* Windows Media Video(.avi)
* .3GP (cell phones)
* .AVI (windows)
* .MOV (mac)
* .MP4 (ipod/psp)
* .MPEG
* .FLV (adobe flash)
* .SWF (shockwave flash)
* .MKV (h.264)

If you do not think your current video file format is recognized by YouTube, you may get the best results from converting your file to MPEG4 video with MP3 audio. If your format is recognized, but you are experiencing other issues with format errors, feel free to contact us, and we will try our best to fix it.

To convert most any video format to one of the aforementioned accepted formats it is reccommended you use FFMPEG. FFMPEG is a command-line tool, so newer users may like to use the free tool, SUPER, which can be found at http://www.erightsoft.org/. If you do not produce acceptable results with these tools, you may also try the commercial software, Magic Video Converter [ http://www.magic-video-software.com/magic_video_converter/index.html ].

Windows Movie Maker, by default saves projects as .MSWMM files. These file are project files, which means it only tells Windows Movie Maker the layout of your video and does not contain the final video itself, and because of this, YouTube does not accept .MSWMM files. To upload your Windows Movie Maker video to YouTube, select the "Save to My Computer" option to save the file and upload the generated file.

Keep in mind that each time you convert or "transcode" a video from one type of compression to another, there will be some loss in quality, sort of like making a photo copy of a photo copy. Avoid transcoding a highly compressed video into a format that is accepted. You'll get poor results. You'll get better results by going back to your original video editing software where you edited the video, and re-export in a format like MPEG4 with MP3 audio, or if that is unavailable, exporting it as a RAW (uncompressed) video format then encoding it in an external program such as those listed above.

charliemuir

posted on 16/7/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
for ps3 you do need MP4 - I go for 640x480 as also plays on ipod then and PS3 upscales well - not free but try IMTOO products (maybe google the product you want with "http://www.rapidshare.com" in the search bar - just to try it obvioulsy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.