Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: might end up with a q plate?
Mark G

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
might end up with a q plate?

at the dvla now, car's been inspected but the guy thinks I haven't kept enough parts to retain the donor age related plate.

its in a sierra donor but with a bike engine. apparantly I haven't used the whole front axle which is where the problem is.

help!

blakep82

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
benefits of a Q plate outwiegh the donors plate IMO. at MOT time anyway. the only problem i can think of with a Q plate is you can't put a private plate on
Q plates don't have emissions test at MOT.

I want a Q plate. its a much more exclusive clug than a G reg

[Edited on 10/6/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
as far as I understand it that q-plate rule does not apply to all cars. Something to do with engine age.

Most centres get it wrong and only give you a smoke test, but i believe for post-94 engines there is an emissions test of sorts.

Craig

ReMan

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
There is no axel! The front hubs are it, along with the stering rack of course knob
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
benefits of a Q plate outwiegh the donors plate IMO. at MOT time anyway. the only problem i can think of with a Q plate is you can't put a private plate on
Q plates don't have emissions test at MOT.

I want a Q plate. its a much more exclusive clug than a G reg

likewise I see a Q plate only being a real issue on a replica, on a 7 style car its obviously a kit car and that’s what Q plates mean to most folk, so fine

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deezee

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
According the the guys at VOSA/DVLA, its changed to an computer system now, where the engine in the vehicle is recorded, and tested accordingly. Obviously this applies to new registrations and not cars already with plates.

So the engine that went through the SVA / IVA goes onto the MAC/V5C and is what emissions should be tested on.

Hellfire

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ask him/her to define which part of the Sierra front axle you haven't used. The V627/1 is rather vague in relation to specific parts, so I would argue that you have used sufficient donor parts to obtain an age related plate.

I don't know of any kitcars with age related plates that have failed MOT due to emissions.

Phil

iank

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
as far as I understand it that q-plate rule does not apply to all cars. Something to do with engine age.

Most centres get it wrong and only give you a smoke test, but i believe for post-94 engines there is an emissions test of sorts.

Do you have a reference for that?
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/how_to_use_page_one.htm
Says:
"b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to
be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971"

and

"ii. The exhaust emission test for a vehicle first used before August 1975 is a visual check only."

In the emissions section it says that the engine manufacture date or first use date whichever is earlier is used.

There were reports of some DVLA centers trying hard to persuade people away from Q reg's, probably to close this "loophole" (or possibly through the normal random decision making) but I've not seen a report recently so they may have given up.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Rod Ends

posted on 10/6/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just tell everyone that "Q is for Quick"
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Just tell everyone that "Q is for Quick"

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 10/6/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Q give a bit of mystery around it i think.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Richard Quinn

posted on 10/6/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
And it's the nearest I will ever get to a personalised plate with my initials!!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
And it's the nearest I will ever get to a personalised plate with my initials!!

same with me

thegasmen

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
q reg

when i had my dvla inspection there was the same problem but he said i need something like engine and gearbox so i had the log book for the bike with its engine and i also had the log book from the doner because i had the log book from the bike he was happy to register the car on an age related plate to the motorbike.

result if you have the bike log book that is

Mark G

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've decided that I'm going to appeal the decision. As far as I'm concerned the original car doesn't have a front axle as such. I thought that when they say axle now they just mean the thing the wheels bolts too. If thats the case then in future when I do MOT's when I do the brake test i'll only test Axle 1 and axle 2 if it has one.

Watch this space.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.