Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange Phone Call
Slater

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Strange Phone Call

I had a phone call today, whilst at home. The person asked for me by name, then asked if I wanted to renew my van insurance. I explained I don't own a van and never have and said you must have the wrong number, that was the end of the call.

It was afterwards I started thinking, maybe someone has insured a van using my name and contact details. At the time of the call I did not think to ask any more details and I can't recall the companies name.

Should I be worried??

Is there an insurance database so I can check I am not named on some bogus van insurance policy???

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

omega0684

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
i had a guy ring the house today (indian salesman)

"Hello Mr White, im calling to see if you want to upgrade your sky box"

"i don't have SKY?"

"ok, bye"

and he hung up, very odd!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Or he could have just got the wrong number, unlikely if he got your name and number though.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
speedyxjs

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
THis stuff happens all the time. They do it to find out if you have a van or sky etc so they can make all these wonderful offers
paul the 6th

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I usually ask them for the price of whatever product it is they're offering, then tell them it's poor compared to what I'm currently paying. Usually string them along until they say

"can I ask how much you're currently paying for your insurance?"

IT's FREE! baffles them a fair bit

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a nice chap from India ring to see if i wanted to claim back interest on my credit card, told him i was far too wealthy to have a credit card but he was welcome to chat to my butler to see if he could help him out.
For some reason he hung up

austin man

posted on 10/6/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
cant see that any benefit could be had by insuring a car / van in the wrong name police still ask for other details when they pull you

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

iank

posted on 10/6/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
All of these could just be a simple scam. You give them credit card number (along with security code from back) and they fill it up for you. Only takes one hit in 50 to make good money.

Basic rule - only give your credit card number (or any security information) to someone you've called.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MikeRJ

posted on 10/6/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Just had a nice chap from India ring to see if i wanted to claim back interest on my credit card, told him i was far too wealthy to have a credit card but he was welcome to chat to my butler to see if he could help him out.
For some reason he hung up

I like this, might have to steal this idea

speedyxjs

posted on 11/6/09 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ Me too

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

RickRick

posted on 11/6/09 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
i like to just place the phone down on the side, then come back later to see how much of there time they wasted!
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 11/6/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Safest thing to do is never give out details on an incoming call I reckons.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

tendoshingan

posted on 11/6/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I had someone from India ringing asking me "do I ever have problems with my computer"
Now considering that I teach IT maintenance and support I thought I'd go along with it.
"Yes I do have problems, from time to time"
"And what do you do when these things go wrong?"
"I fix them"
"and what happens when you can't fix them"
"Nothing, cos it never happens"
"But what happens when you can't fix them"
"No, I do fix them"
"But, but what happens when you can't fix them?"
"No, I do fix them, I teach people how to fix computers so I fix them"
"But, but what happens when you can't fix the problem?"
Obviously this person was following her lines from a manual on how to get people to sign up because she just kept repeating the same thing, in the end I just left the phone on the side.

On another note I remember my bank, HSBC, rang me once to offer me a deal on a loan. After a couple of minutes they wanted to confirm who I was. I said they rang me so they should know who I was. It was quite comical as I pointed out that they were asking me for details contrary to what they tell you all the time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.