Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Intercom - no helmets?
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 1/7/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Intercom - no helmets?

Guys and gals, has anyone tried using a headset/intercom but without crash helmets?

On a long journey it is good to wear earplugs or earbud headphones but this make conversation impossible.

There seem to be plenty of models on the market for fitting inside helmets, but has anyone seen a set that:
Has earbud headphones
A decent mike
can accept a phone input
can accept an mp3 input
doesn't require use of a helmet!

Sounds like I am asking the impossible

robocog

posted on 1/7/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
throat mic and decent in ear buds connected to a std intercom designed for inside helmets?
I guess a std mic is going to pick up too much wind noise to work well which is why I suggested a throat mic- though it may look a bit odd

I got one of the Lidl ones, and adapted it to a speaker and mic that were permanantly fitted inside the helmet on std chunky connectors (easy to insert and take off with gloves)
The ear and mic thingys that it came with were painful to wear and a pain to put helmet on without knocking it out of position

I guess the same for any of the intercoms really , just plug in the ear and mic pieces you want

Humbug

posted on 1/7/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't want a helmet how about using DIY type ear defenders and just putting the headphones inside? I guess you would still get wind noise on the mics though
BenB

posted on 1/7/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've got some of the terratrip headset. Haven't made up my intercom for it but they're quite nice.
Only issue is they're mono unless you modify the wiring from the headset.

Demon Tweeks link

fatfranky

posted on 1/7/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just a suggestion

At some of the bike shows you get traders making custom fit silicone earplugs, they take mould of the inside of your lug and then custom make the silicone plugs from that mould. Some of the options include a mobile phone hands free moulded into the silicone or a set of in ear earphones, perhaps either of these could be adapted although I accept it doesn't solve the microphone wind noise problem.

Hope this helps

robocog

posted on 1/7/09 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm fairly sure that a throt mic will cope MUCH better than a std mic, though haven't got one here to try
(you could wear a neck warmer so it doesn't look too wierd)

There are some cheap(ish) ones on eBay that I'm sure you will be able to adapt to suit any intercom fairly easily

eBay item 110326767053
(or just search for throat mic!)

Regards
Rob

[Edited on 1/7/09 by robocog]

speedyxjs

posted on 2/7/09 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think you are allowed to wear earphones while driving. That was always what i was told when i learnt to drive.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

rgrs

posted on 2/7/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at http://www.starcom1.com/head_sets.htm

Although these units are not cheap ( try the bay), they will do everthing that you could need them to do, you will only ever buy one.

You have the option of ear buds or perhaps the sortie style headset.

I am just converting mine to take pilot style headsets.

Roger

Scott W

posted on 2/7/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Autocom offer systems that can use ear defenders and they quite regularly sell/fit them to road/rally cars, power boats, etc... and not just motorbikes/helmets as many people traditionally associate them with.

If you were interested in their product then give them a call and speak to either Rich or Paul Wallace and I'm sure they'll be able to talk you through various systems.

BTW I don't work for them, I'm just a very happy customer who uses their kit in his car and on 2 motorbikes!

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 2/7/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, lots of food for thought here. I like the idea of the Starcom1 range but it is a bit more than I was hoping to pay.

I think I will scan the bay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.