Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone passed IVA with electric (starter motor) reverse yet?
eznfrank

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone passed IVA with electric (starter motor) reverse yet?

As above really....

I originall just wanted to go with the cheapest reverse option available as I thought I would never use it other than to keep IVA man quiet. However, as I have zero fabrication skills I need to get one from somewhere. Despite having cash burning a hole in my pocket, could I get one.....NO!

So, I got to thinking I might get a proper box which might actually be useful albeit a bit more expensive.....as I've been waiting a while now I started thinking again (dangerous I know) and wondered if I should save myself £400 and just get a leccy starter motor job. My only reservations are that

a) I only have a bike battery and fear it may destroy it v.quickly and

b) I'm not entirely convinced IVA man would like the stop/go relatively uncontrollable nature of it?

Anyone passed with one yet? Any thoughts?

Richard Quinn

posted on 9/7/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't got one but I thought I would share a conversation that I had with my SVA tester earlier this year which went something like:
"Has it got one of those electric reverses?"
"No"
"Good, I get fed up with having to push them round when they won't start again because the bl**dy battery's flat!"
I don't know what the official line would be in terms of whether you would be expected to use it every time they wanted the car moved backwards (quite a lot, in and out of the rollers etc) or whether you would just have to use it for that part of the test but there was quite a bit of manouvring/reversing required during my test (but that was SVA and he was happy enough to help push it backwards as long as he didn't have to push it forwards due to it not starting)

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/7/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
It might be wise to install a standard car battery for the IVA. That would avoid some of this "confusion" over whether the reverse was practical.

Matt

blakep82

posted on 9/7/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
wouldn't the reverse be used when the engine's running?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dmac

posted on 9/7/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
wouldn't the reverse be used when the engine's running?

Yes but the alternator probably doesn't put out enough power to move the car so you'll still be draining the battery.

Duncan

Omni

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bike alternators/generators only normally maintain the batteries charge battery, the don't normally charge it back to full.

For my build I am planning on having a seperate car battery just for the reverse but I will defo have to charge it back up weekly or something like that. Or it may fall off are IVA

O

[Edited on 10/7/09 by Omni]

Davg

posted on 10/7/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you can justify the cash, considered the MNR box? obviously require minor chassis mod, but sure you could enlist the help of someone local for a couple of welds!
40inches

posted on 15/7/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Aaron, you have a u2u.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.