Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing my first set of brake pads
beagley

posted on 9/7/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Replacing my first set of brake pads

My boss has asked me to help him replace the pads on his Mini Cooper. I've seen it done a few times and doesn't look too complicated, but that's what I thought about repairing drywall.

Is there anything in particular that is a surprise with the Cooper's brake system that I should keep aware of?

Also...... any tips?

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/7/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
is this a new one or the orginal mini?

[Edited on 9/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beagley

posted on 9/7/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
This is a new school mini. I think its an '06

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/7/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Totally standard brake caliper on the new ones. Here's a quick link to a web how to -

linky

take off the reservoir cap and keep an eye on the level as it will rise as you push the piston back, brake fluid removes paintwork. A small smear of copper grease on the back of the pad helps stop brake squeal. Don't use any other type of grease due to the heat.

[Edited on 9/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beagley

posted on 9/7/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link. I had found another like it, but it's nice to see one specific to a mini. I'm looking forward to getting into it. I'll try to take some pictures for proof!

DaveFJ

posted on 9/7/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
just dont do what a friend of mine did!
forgot to pump the brakes again after changing the pads.. just drove off and couldnt stop - straight into a lamp post!

naturally we were overflowing with sympathy and didnt criticise his knowledge (he is an engineer) or driving ability

[Edited on 9-7-09 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

pewe

posted on 9/7/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC if it's fitted with ABS the general recommendation is to clamp the brake line with a proper clamp (not Molegrips!) and release the bleed nipple (with suitable drain tube attached) so the pistons to be pushed back to allow the new, thicker pads to be inserted into the caliper.
Failing to do this can evidently upset the electronics associated with the ABS.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

britishtrident

posted on 9/7/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
As above with ABS pushing the fluid back is not a good idea also --- The BMW Mini thing is not DIY friendly.

The first hurdle is you will have to check if you can get the wheels off ---- I jest not.

On some of these cars BMW did not provide a key to remove the locking wheel centre covers it was a dealer special tool.

If the car either has a key provided or hasn't got locking wheel covers you may then find the wheels are corroded on.
Way round this is refit the wheel nuts but leave them slack by a turn or two, then drive the car forward and backwards for a meter or so each way applying the brakes sharply.

[Edited on 9/7/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DorsetStrider

posted on 9/7/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
IIRC if it's fitted with ABS the general recommendation is to clamp the brake line with a proper clamp (not Molegrips!) and release the bleed nipple (with suitable drain tube attached) so the pistons to be pushed back to allow the new, thicker pads to be inserted into the caliper.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

Spot on.

If you push the fluid back to the resevoir on an ABS equiped car there's a better than 50/50 chance you'll wreck the modulator in the ABS pump so no more abs.

Also don't forget to pump the pedal before driving off.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Gazeddy

posted on 9/7/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
where are you guys getting this info about abs and pushing the piston back. i work at a main stealer in the workshop and we ALWAYS push the psiton back and in the last two-three years we've never had one comeback with abs failure. but the bmw mini is horrible to work on
DorsetStrider

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
3 years motor mechanics collge,
2 years working in the industry,
Member of the IMI.

Current teaching is that on ABS equiped vechicles you must prevent brake fluid going the wrong way back up the system.

Gazeddy

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Our service literature says push piston back I'm sure it does
DorsetStrider

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe your vehicles use an unusual abs system where it's not nessicary?

Either way it's still best practise to clamp the line and open the nipple (oh er MRS!).

britishtrident

posted on 10/7/09 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with pushing the pistons back is two fold.

(1) On older higher mileage cars a lot of wear debris accumulates in the brake system, pushing back the fluid tends to push it into the ABS assembly where it can damage the valve seats.

(2) One particular manufacturers models it is not unknown to master cylinder failure if the fluid is forced back.

Ninehigh

posted on 10/7/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

I've recently had a go at doing the rear ones on me mondeo, Haynes manual said to do the same thing about clamping because the backward flow of brake fluid can cause some rubber seal or valve to pop inside out/backwards and the whole braking system fails.

Paid £30 for a mechanic to do it in the end, cos it was going to be a pita with the handbrake attatched to it

prawnabie

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by the fact its your first set, would it not be better do them under the eye of a competent mechanic?

Not having a go or anything, but brakes, especially someone else brakes, need to be spot on.

pewe

posted on 13/7/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Regardless of the ABS issue I always feel that bleeding the caliper reduces the chance of brake fade because you are replacing the older, cooked fluid from the caliper and replacing it with "fresher" fluid from further up the line.
As we all know (don't we?) fluid should be replaced every couple of years.
Cheers, Pewe

Ninehigh

posted on 13/7/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
As we all know (don't we?) fluid should be replaced every couple of years.
Cheers, Pewe

I didn't actually, there's another job to add to the list!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.