New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: respacing zx6r carbs
dblissett

posted on 12/7/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
respacing zx6r carbs

i have bought a set of zx6r carbs and i plan to make a manifold for my pinto
i see it that i have two options
option 1
is to keep the carbs together and to make a manifold to suit which means more work to sort the manifold
option 2
split the carbs which would make the manifold easier to make but would mean respacing the carbs
i like this idea but has anyone done it and what was the end result.
my worries are how easy are the carbs to respace and what did you use for a airfillter

also do i still need to keep the cable choke with bike carbs as i dont use a choke with my twin 40's

thanks
dave

[Edited on 12/7/09 by dblissett]

whitestu

posted on 13/7/09 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
My ZX6R carbs were respaced for me so I didn't do it.

First you need to extend the tubular spacers that keep the carbs at the correct distance apart, along with some threaded rod to clamp them all together. Once you have got the carbs spaced correctly for your ports you need to make up some extended fuel rail links.

This involves making some extended pipes with grooves for the o rings, and requires a small lathe to turn the grooves.

The rail is made from Ali tube.

Then you need to extend the tabs on the throttle linkage between the carbs, which is just a bit of steel plate cut and bent to shape and bolted to the existing tabs.

The choke is worth keeping as it does make cold starts easier.

For the airfilter i used a pipercross sausage filter and blank backplate.
I cut the original bike backplate, but into 4 pieces and used these bits to get a good seal on the carbs, and then bolted the pipercross backplate to this, with suitable holes cut into it.

I also made my own manifold for non-respaced carbs as well which wasn't too difficult.

Edir - Forgot the choke link and T piece as Will121 said.

Stu

[Edited on 13/7/09 by whitestu]

will121

posted on 13/7/09 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
i respaced my ZX9R zetec manifold (same principal to ZX6) carbs it made the fabrication of the manifold much easier and shorter as no compound bends.

works involved turning up new longer link tubes for the fuel supplies between carbs 1-2 & 3-4 i managed to reuse the original Tee piece between 3-4 dont know about on a Pinto?

cutting and extending the choke bar just welding sections between, and extend the throttle link by tack welding small pieces on pieces, if you want more info can take some more detailed photos to explain, as for filter may be use a blank pipercross base with original trumpets. i needed to use the choke on my ZX6 carbs on a CVH.

took a little while on the lathe
new turned up fuel interconnector reusing original O rings

extended throttle butterfly connectors

extended choke bar and ali spacers between the carbs and bolted together

turned up spacers for carb breather/vent

[Edited on 13/7/09 by will121]

jpindy3

posted on 13/7/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
i have a flange if you want it,
its from gbs,it ant the best but you can have it if you can use it

[Edited on 13/7/09 by jpindy3]

dblissett

posted on 13/7/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Jpindy3
you have a u2u
cheers
dave

dblissett

posted on 14/7/09 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
which pipe are for what?

thanks for the help so far guys
i will re space my carbs so now i need to know which pipe are for what
looking from the air filleter side the carbs have two pipe connected to the bottom of the carbs and they are all linked what are they for
at the top there are two t pieces between 1-2 and 3-4 carbs again what are they used for
finaly at the engine side of the carbs is one 8mm pipe that looks like a fuel supply as its linked to all the carbs.
finaly when i look at the bottom of the float bowl there is a a small male piece of pipe cast into the bowl and a screw next to it is this were i would conect a vacuume gauge for ballancing
sorry for all the questions but i want to work it all out before i start making the manifold.
cheers
dave

will121

posted on 14/7/09 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
without the carbs in front of me from memory

the smaller pipes approx 5mm outer dia which are linked together are for coolant
heater for the carbs to avoid icing, not required in car format can just be left unconnected.
the ones at the top are float bowl vents and origionally go into the air box, again believe these need connection but end can be left open.
then larger one is main fuel supply
the ones on the bottom of the float bowl are purly drains for the float bowls and checkink fuel height levels the screw next to it just opens the drain
there is no connection for a vacuume gauge for ballancing on the carbs this is originally on the mounting rubbers or needs to be incorperated into the manifold design or use of a vacuum gauge which goes into the inlet as used on webbers
i will check and confirm when i get home tonight

[Edited on 14/7/09 by will121]

dblissett

posted on 15/7/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
thanks

thanks for all the help will 121
so i just have to conect up the fuel supply a throtle cable and a choke cable
now i know what they all are for it becomes much easier to sort out
did you connect the float bowl vent pipe to the air filter or just leave them open
finaly does it matter if the carbs bores are horizontal or do the have to be poiting down like they are when they are fitted on a bike
i am asuming the split line in the float bowls should be horizontal when looking at the side of the carbs
thanks dave

will121

posted on 15/7/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
yes, fuel, throttle and choke and rejetting to suit. think there is some info on here ofwhat jets people are running, think mine are 155,s some redrill theirs.
my vent is just left open, again i mounted mine at the angle they were on the bike, but others have said they have mounted theirs more vertical with no problems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.