Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: odd handling
smart51

posted on 16/7/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
odd handling

My new baby is a Suzuki cappuccino. I like it. It is meant to handle well courtesy of its dual wishbone all round suspension and rear lower multi link setup. At 60 or so the steering is very light and the whole car feels a bit floaty. There's no play in the steering and tiny movements of the wheel give small changes in direction, which is good. More substantial turns in the wheel make the car roll very quickly and once the car settles, the steering is quite heavy and the car corners positively.

What is the likely cause of this? Geometry? Suspension? The car has ARBs front and rear and I notice the front has new drop links.

MikeRJ

posted on 16/7/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Tired dampers? Does it have the OEM wheels fitted?

I like the little Cappuccinos, but they seem to have inherited 70's Alfa corrosion protection, i.e. none, so get the waxoyl out whilst it's still in one bit!

[Edited on 16/7/09 by MikeRJ]

nick205

posted on 16/7/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Probably teaching you to suck eggs, but have you checked and experimented with tyre pressures?

Other than that I'd look at the dampers and make sure there's nothing amiss.

smart51

posted on 16/7/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Tired dampers? Does it have the OEM wheels fitted?

I like the little Cappuccinos, but they seem to have inherited 70's Alfa corrosion protection, i.e. none, so get the waxoyl out whilst it's still in one bit!

[Edited on 16/7/09 by MikeRJ]

You're right about corrosion protection. I deliberately went for a clean one - a rare thing. I've already waxoyled one bit that is prone to collecting mud and rotting. The rest will be done over the next month or two as I get time to remove parts for access.

It has and will keep the stock wheels as they're only 4.7kg each! How do I check the dampers? I've never had to do this before.

speedyxjs

posted on 16/7/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have been experienceing similar symptons with my jag. Its going in this afternoon to have the rear end looked at. I suspect rear shocks but will post back tomorrow when i find out

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

britishtrident

posted on 16/7/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
If it roll excessively and nothing is obviously broken in the suspension then thats the way it was designed.

Could be the dampers are a bit soft
Dampers will not affect the amount roll when turning in a constant radius, but they do alter the rate at which the car rolls after a steering input.

Re corrosion pat attening to rust proofing the front suspension mounting points --- they collect stagnant water.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/7/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had a fiat cinquecento and tbh that sounds just like the handling of that car. Basically their too short for decent high speed handling and always feel nervous.

[Edited on 16/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 16/7/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I had a fiat cinquecento and tbh that sounds just like the handling of that car. Basically their too short and tall for decent high speed handling and always feel nervous.

At 1185mm, it isn't that tall really. Comparing the track to wheel base to height ratio, it is an 85% scale model of a real car. It's even 85% the weight of a small car. Shouldn't the stability be about the same because of the proportions or doesn't it work like that?

[Edited on 16-7-2009 by smart51]

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/7/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I find that is more the length of the car that makes it more stable at high speed, never had a small one that didn’t twitch, missy’s old Corsa (now finally scrapped & replaced with an nice Almera) was quite scary at 70mph and my Fiesta felt like it was going to flip over when I got it up to 90mph. What you have is a county road corner blaster rather than a motorway cruiser.

One way I suppose to think of it is a pendulum. A short one moves back and forth quite quickly and the longer it becomes the slower it sways. This is why large cars with long over hangs past the wheel like boots tend to make the smoothest cruisers as their extra length slows down the swaying making them less twitchy. Really doesn’t matter if the scale is the same as a short pendulum will always be faster, so no you can’t just scale it up and expect the car to be the same.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 16/7/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
it will make it twitchy and require more rapid steering inputs and hence be tiring on the motorway, but it would handle well and grip well at speed and the floaty feeling is definately curable and not an incurable symptom of the vehicle length alone.

My corsa was excellent to drive, but then it was dropped 40mm with a quickrack, proper dampers, brand new bushes, joints and topmounts...

owelly

posted on 16/7/09 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the tracking? If it had too much toe in it would feel as though you were oversteering. Toe-out would feel a bit vague in a straight line with you having to exagerate the steering to make it play properly.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/7/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I had a fiat cinquecento and tbh that sounds just like the handling of that car. Basically their too short for decent high speed handling and always feel nervous.

You must have had a bad one, I had one which was stable up to 120mph with a 1.2 TC engine, and went around corners like thing possessed from possessedville!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

speedyxjs

posted on 17/7/09 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Iv had a phone call last night to say the rear shock on my Jag are shot. Might be worth checking yours.

smart51

posted on 17/7/09 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Iv had a phone call last night to say the rear shock on my Jag are shot. Might be worth checking yours.

How do you check shocks? I've never had to do it before.

alistairolsen

posted on 17/7/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
mot testers bounce the car a look for oscillations but that only wrks for relatively soft sustension. If its not a huge hassle Id remove them and the springs and see if much force is required to move them

No way of knowing if theyre stiff enough, only if they have meaningful resistance to movement

speedyxjs

posted on 17/7/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:

How do you check shocks? I've never had to do it before.

Push the corner of the car. The car should bounce back up and the settle. Mine were bouncing up and down a few times before settling.

smart51

posted on 17/7/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Push the corner of the car. The car should bounce back up and the settle. Mine were bouncing up and down a few times before settling.

Did this. No bouncing at all. The car springs back up quickly at first then slowing down as it reaches ride height. No overshoot at all.

I also pumped the tyres up a bit more. Some knobend had fitted kwikfit own brand tyres. The book says 23 PSI. They were at 25, I upped them to 28. This improved things a fair amount. I'll try 30 when the weather dries. I've got to fit some better rubber. The Centaur Supremes are the shytest tyres in the known universe.

Gazeddy

posted on 17/7/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
On the topic of poor tyres we had a car that wasn't even six months old needing four because all the sidewalks have split. Can't remeber the brand but the tread pattern is called wl-603 which makes me think wanli
smart51

posted on 17/7/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done a quick geometry check with some string and a ruler. The front has 2.25mm of toe in between the pair of wheels, so about 1mm each and the rear has 1mm between them, ao about 0.5mm each. Moving the wheel spacers makes about 0.25mm total error in the string.

Quoted geometry is 0mm +/- 2 at the front and 2mm toe in +/-2 at the rear so they should be OK.

[Edited on 18-7-2009 by smart51]

smart51

posted on 24/7/09 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Finally, after several delays from the supplier, I have new tyres fitted. Toyo Proxes CF1 (loads of tyres are not made in 14" fitments). The grip and handling are transformed. Its still not a seven in terms of handling but it is a match for an MX5 which is what I was expecting.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.