<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: it it fair to ask guys to pay to see the forsale bit
thunderace

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
it it fair to ask guys to pay to see the forsale bit

is it fair to ask guys to pay to see the forsale bit
this is a locost site so why ask you to pay
whats he going to ask us to pay for next i see it as a money earner rather than cash for the site ,
bet he will make £1000s out of it.

blakep82

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
you do know this will be locked and deleted yeah?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

thunderace

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
well would you have joind the site if you thought he was doing it to make money?
its like the bloody tax man lol

lexus

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
All of this stuff now has me hacked off enough to post!
Yes, some sort of advance announcement would have been appropriate. But there wasn't, so we are where we are.
We all spend some £000's on our cars. So surely the site is worth a £5.00 donation.
If not, will one of the people complaining please volunteer to do it all for nothing

Steve G

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Does this really need another thread??

Is it fair to expect the site owner to fund the cost of the server himself and running costs?? Yes there's a few adverts - but they are the most unobtrusive of any forum i've known!! OK so traders pay also - but why shouldnt ordinary members give a little too? Also i bet there's a considerable outlay in ChrisW's time. If you dont want to pay then thats fine - but I dont see £5 as much to ask, especially when picking up a bargain in the For Sale section is likely to save that £5 and more. If you are happy with the rest of the site then no need for you to contribute to its running costs - all you lose is the potential of a bargain.

Personally, if ChrisW makes a few quid after all the expenses are taken account of - then does anyone seriously have an issue with that? I doubt he'll be making his millions here somehow

[Edited on 20/7/09 by Steve G]

l0rd

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
It is fair to pay £10 not only £5.

Imagine all the help you get here.

oldtimer

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
£5=bargain.
DavidM

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
6 Yes
4 No

Not going well is it.

Perhaps you should just cough up or shut up.

David

Proportion is Everything

mookaloid

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I would like to know how many of these posters who want everything to be free would themselves be willing to set up a site like this using their own time and resources and not expect anything for doing it

Why not just contribute a very small amount of money and enjoy the site - simples

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

owelly

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've not really bothered with these threads but FFS!!!!!
If you think that £5 is too much to pay for all the help and support you can get on here, DON'T PAY!! Go somewhere else!! I'd be prepared to pay £5 a fekin month for the advise I can get on here! I've asked and answered hundreds of questions. I've learnt more here than I did throughout my whole school/college/uni days (that may not be strictly true..!) so for a meagre £5.....
Pay-up or stop whinging.

All IMHO of course....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
a £5.00 or £10.00 donation is not a lot several of you will get hours of entertainment help etc from this site so why complain, I cant think of anything else that can keep you this occupied for a Fiver.

The other thing you need to think of is those that have paid a little why shouldn't they get first dabs ?? after all they are financially supporting the site.

Oh and yes I am a contibutor and am not making this statement out of selfishness I paid the money because I was fed up of only viewing a couple of posts before having to log back in.

The administartor and moderators of this site should be given a well done for all they do.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
£5 is bargain. Why should Chris be left to pay for the hardware needed to keep this site working well? I had no issue with contributing and did so fairly soon after it was introduced.

Chris has also stated that once a contributor, always a contributor. Status is permanent.

Contributing is voluntary. I dont see an issue with having a benefit. What else would you propose? How about non-contributors being able to respond to any post in any section but the reply not being posted for 24 hours? Hitting the For Sale section is probs the best solution all round as it doesnt affect the real root of the site.

Is it only the non-contributors that are complaining? Come on - cough up.

kipper

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
?

worth every penny.

Just my tupence worth
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

omega0684

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
All i'm going to say is Francene needs a new bum hole!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I am already a contributor and have just contributed again. Keep up the good work

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

graememk

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
get your £5 out you tight git

DavidM

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
is it fair to ask guys to pay to see the forsale bit
this is a locost site so why ask you to pay
whats he going to ask us to pay for next i see it as a money earner rather than cash for the site ,

16 to 4 now. It looks like you lose.

You should delete this thread before anyone notices.

Or you could leave it so that it finally stops all the moaning about contributions.

David

[Edited on 21/7/09 by DavidM]

Proportion is Everything

ChrisW

posted on 21/7/09 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
i see it as a money earner rather than cash for the site ,

It's fair to say I've had a few grand in donations over the years. If I had to put a figure on it, I'd guess around the 3k mark.

However, the site currently costs me around £250/month to run for colocation of the two servers that run it (1 database, 1 web), plus off-site backup space which keeps a month of rolling backups. I'm about to add a third to the cluster to try to address some of the speed issues at peak times, and a fourth will follow to do the video work once I'm ready to beta the new site.

Even if you assume that cost has increased linearly since day 1, that still works out to around £12,000 spent out over 8 or so years just on hosting.

Then you've got hardware on top. A decent server won't see you much change out of a grand by the time you fit a good amount of RAM, fast disks, and a decent RAID setup. We're on our third web server, and first database server. That's another £4,000, give or take.

I've got another server sat in wait ready to be swapped out for the current web server. The existing machine will then be rebuilt with a fresh OS and become a static content box. Another £1k.

Then, as above, when the new site comes along, I need to shell out for something nice and powerful to run the video rendering platform, as the new site has integrated 'you tube' style video.

I think we're on £18k so far by my 'back of beermat' calculations.

Add to that more hours than I could even begin to count spent on developing the site, coding, bug fixing, writing new features, not to mention Fozzie's time helping people out and keeping everything in order.

In short, if you think this is some kind of 'get rich quick' scheme you are very much mistaken!

Chris

ChrisW

posted on 21/7/09 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Ooops! I just voted for the wrong one! Too late at night to be doing this stuff, I'm off to bed

Chris

Staple balls

posted on 21/7/09 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
However, the site currently costs me around £250/month to run for colocation of the two servers that run it (1 database, 1 web), plus off-site backup space which keeps a month of rolling backups.

Just out of interest, how much bandwidth does this place eat?

need4speed

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
Bargin price, keep up the good work Chris.

Now 17 / 6

Dave

flak monkey

posted on 21/7/09 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Oh dear looks like you lost this one thunderace

Keep up the good work ChrisW your efforts are much appreciated by many of us

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/7/09 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
i see it as a money earner rather than cash for the site ,

It's fair to say I've had a few grand in donations over the years. If I had to put a figure on it, I'd guess around the 3k mark.

However, the site currently costs me around £250/month to run for colocation of the two servers that run it (1 database, 1 web), plus off-site backup space which keeps a month of rolling backups. I'm about to add a third to the cluster to try to address some of the speed issues at peak times, and a fourth will follow to do the video work once I'm ready to beta the new site.

Even if you assume that cost has increased linearly since day 1, that still works out to around £12,000 spent out over 8 or so years just on hosting.

Then you've got hardware on top. A decent server won't see you much change out of a grand by the time you fit a good amount of RAM, fast disks, and a decent RAID setup. We're on our third web server, and first database server. That's another £4,000, give or take.

I've got another server sat in wait ready to be swapped out for the current web server. The existing machine will then be rebuilt with a fresh OS and become a static content box. Another £1k.

Then, as above, when the new site comes along, I need to shell out for something nice and powerful to run the video rendering platform, as the new site has integrated 'you tube' style video.

I think we're on £18k so far by my 'back of beermat' calculations.

Add to that more hours than I could even begin to count spent on developing the site, coding, bug fixing, writing new features, not to mention Fozzie's time helping people out and keeping everything in order.

In short, if you think this is some kind of 'get rich quick' scheme you are very much mistaken!

Chris

tbh Chris if you had said how much the sites costing you to run even a tight git like me would happily have donated long ago, you can't expect ordinary people like me to have any idea of the running costs involved

4 years membership now paid

[Edited on 21/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

mr T

posted on 21/7/09 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
Is the advertising at the top of this page for free
bimbleuk

posted on 21/7/09 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like to see regular updates on the costs and work involved in running this website/forum. This would be a very good way to remind people that the site doesn't just magically exist! Having said that I personally would be happy to pay a regular subscription for the whole site but maybe that's just too late now the site is so established.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.