Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: one for the brainiaks
omega0684

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
one for the brainiaks

was thinking today about using a 3.5 litre nissan 350z engine and gearbox in a seven style vehicle. now some of the 350z's have that trip-tronic (flappy padel) gearbox and i woundered whether you could incorporate that into the seven as well?

what would be involved in taking it out of the nissan and into the seven? what parts would be needed etc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
ECU and masses of wiring I would think...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

craig1410

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect that the paddles would just be connected to micro switches so you could easily make something to attach to your steering column and maybe just use the actual paddles and switches from the donor car. You wouldn't need to use the whole steering column enclosure. The paddles would need a pivot and end stops and the switches would just need to be held in the correct position on a plate of some sort.

The wiring wouldn't be too scary I don't think as you should be able to just lift it straight out of the donor. It's not as if you need to build a loom from scratch yourself.

Sounds interesting - keep us posted!

DIY Si

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't even bother thinking about it to be honest. The wiring and ECUs required to make it work will make it pointless. Assuming they will work in anything other than the parent car. Things like this in new cars are nice, but not really transferable to a 7.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Willie

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
(Sorry to barge in - again).

I disagree...I think it might be easier than you think. Depends on how the gearbox works at the minute.

Alot of the bike engined boys use a button/paddle to switch a solenoid to nab the next gear, while the ECU kills the spark temporarily...so you get a flat shift.

Alot of aftermarket ECUs are coming out with flat shift options already built in (The latest Emerald does).

The difficulty will be how the gearbox currently works...is it just a fairly normal sequential, or is it something really flashy that needs oodles of electronics to work properly?

Willie

MakeEverything

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
^^ What he said, but beware, a lot of japanese cars have intelligent transmission computers which learn the way you drive to optimise gear shifts. Clever shit, and way beyond me!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
^^ What he said, but beware, a lot of japanese cars have intelligent transmission computers which learn the way you drive to optimise gear shifts. Clever shit, and way beyond me!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

omega0684

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
surely it would work if i took the entire loom from the donor along with the engine & box etc and then just dropped it into a chassis?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ss1turbo

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I wouldn't even bother thinking about it to be honest. The wiring and ECUs required to make it work will make it pointless. Assuming they will work in anything other than the parent car. Things like this in new cars are nice, but not really transferable to a 7.

Indeed - these days an engine needs to be able happily talk to another ECU or two on the car before it will probably even wake up. I guess you could always add a simulator of some sort, but you would need to know the CANBUS protocol to even go sniffing... An aftermarket ECU (i.e. Emerald) would be a necessity as a starting point - but don't expect the gearbox ECU to play ball, so you'd need another one for that..

Long live RWD...

ss1turbo

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
surely it would work if i took the entire loom from the donor along with the engine & box etc and then just dropped it into a chassis?

You'd probably have to take the loom and everything electrical with it, right down to the electric windows...

Long live RWD...

omega0684

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
You'd probably have to take the loom and everything electrical with it, right down to the electric windows...

possible as i would want electric windows in the car and air con!

[Edited on 29/7/09 by omega0684]

mcerd1

posted on 30/7/09 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

I think thay have that kind of problem with the S2000 ECU's, but some clever people have worked out how to modify them (I think there is a kit manufactures in the US that modify S2000 ones)

-

Volvorsport

posted on 30/7/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
well , you can get gearbox controllers for the AW series of auto gearboxes which have electronically controlled solenoids , i cant see it being much different , if theyre electrically actuated , which means youll have to delve into it a bit more serious .

Ive always thought the BMW SMG box behind that six cylinder would make a nice starting point .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

MautoK

posted on 30/7/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Scary stuff, all this electronics!
My first car was a 103E Pop and the only remotely electronic component was the capacitor in the distributor.
Lots of ideas keeping you busy, Alex!
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

omega0684

posted on 30/7/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
Lots of ideas keeping you busy, Alex!
John.

i just wish i was working at the minute and i might be able to put some of them into effect! its driving me crazy having all these great ideas and not being able to do anything towards them

[Edited on 30/7/09 by omega0684]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.