Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How hard to make own loom up?
leemarkadams

posted on 31/7/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
How hard to make own loom up?

Hello all, as having an epic sorting out the lack of spark on my 99 R1 (which used to run fine!) I was wondering how hard would it be to make up a new loom, missing out all the crappy relays and safety systems (stand/neutral etc..) so it is something less to worry about?

I was planning on re-doing the car over winter anyway, but that may now have been brought forward.....

Thanks

Lee

chrsgrain

posted on 31/7/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Its surprisingly easy, get all the stuff from vehicle wiring products, lay the old one out on the floor, and lay new wires over the top to form a copy, but missing out all the bits you want.... Its good fun, and you know you've done it properly.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Davey D

posted on 31/7/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
you can buy race looms for bikes that miss out all the stuff you dont need. i think they are about £70, which is a bit of a waste if your going to need to hack it about a bit more to make it fit in your car

coozer

posted on 31/7/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, as said, can be easy but may take a long time.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

leemarkadams

posted on 31/7/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
As you may tell from my previous posts I may well be doing that soon enough!

Lee

bigfoot4616

posted on 31/7/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
i found it fairly easy, although i had done quite a bit of vehicle wiring in the past.
i spent a few hours on the pc designing the loom with diagram studio. then used the diagrams to work out how much of each colour wire i needed and what connectors.
it did take a lot of hours to actually wire the car but i rewired the whole car from scratch.
i split the loom into four. engine, front lights, rear lights and dash to make future changes easier.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/7/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I also did my own, using cable from Premier Wiring. I used my commuting time on the train to work out what went where, then drew it up on my computer.

I did 2 sorts of diagrams - the classic type of schematic that you'd get in a manual (boxes with lines in-between), and several physical wiring diagrams showing the wire colours going to each device - these reflect the vehicle's layout.

I've spent my whole life dealing with wiring (telephones and computers, rather than mains electricity) so I've always been comfortable with planning this sort of thing. If you have no idea where to start then Haynes has a book called "Car Builder's Manual" by Lionel Baxter (Ron Champion's school workshop technician!) - not a great car-builder's book, but has a very good chapter on wiring. I'd suggest getting it from a library rather than spend money on it.

Apart from that, you could take a look at this link for more ideas...

NZ link

It's from a New Zealand car club, but full of good info.

HTH,
David

Ivan

posted on 31/7/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Made my Cobra one from scratch with nothing to copy from - still working faultlessly 20 odd years on (Touch Wood)(Except for the odd relay that needed replacement), and not that difficult - most difficult part was getting the Jag windscreen wiper to self-park - took me a who;e evening to puzzle that one out.

[Edited on 31/7/09 by Ivan]

nz_climber

posted on 31/7/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
its pretty simply to do, if you have a wiring diagram to follow, or just follow the orginal, will always end up with a nicer loom if you lay the wiring onto the engine(that way it'll be the perfect length, allow for a bit extra by having large radius turns)

Use masking tape to hold it in place, terminate it at each end, highlight on the wiring diagram what you just did, then get the next wire and repeat.

Really simple if you just do it 1 wire at a time.

Also I work on Aircraft Wiring and find Raychem Spec 44 wire so much easier to deal with (soldering and crimping and also making nice looms) and also lot more compact for same current rating, high temp only down side is now anything that not part of the orginal wiring is now white!

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

GrumpyOne

posted on 31/7/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
The NZ link is a really good guide and this little one from Westfield is good too.

http://westfield-world.com/wiring_menu.html

Cheers
Colin

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.